• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can anyone help with some advice?

radioguyuk47

Apr 19, 2013
Near Southwell, Notts - UK
Hi there fellow Dxers!:mellow:

I recently have decided to re-visit one of my old hobbies, which I was totally addicted by, some 20+ years back, the world of shortwave radio.**Jump_im**

Yes I know we can go on line and listen to any radio station we want, but there's something magical when you receive a radio station from across the other side of the world, especially when you were using a pre-war 1940's valved radio with an aerial I made myself!

However today I'm now disabled, and want to know if anyone can recommend how to put up an outdoor aerial? also would I need an earth? I also live in a bungalow so don't have the added advantage of being upstairs to dangle a long wire from my bedroom window!!!!

Many thanks

Nicolas:unsure:
Ps: I am now using a Eton S450-DLX High Performance Field Radio with AM/FM/SW Bands, but can't get anything!:mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: 1 person

Is this it? Here's some specs but I'm familiar with it
Maybe someone else can steer you in the right direction for an external antenna

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 229
Ps: I am now using a Eton S450-DLX High Performance Field Radio with AM/FM/SW Bands, but can't get anything!

Well if you can't get anything, the radio's broke!

Just kidding. Welcome to the forum.

I've owned this radio and I liked it. I had pretty good reception with the whip. They I tried 25-ish feet of wire out the window to a tree and clipped to the whip. Better still. Then I put up 100' of clothesline ( a "longwire" or "random wire" antenna) and fed it with RJ-6 coax (not great but cheap). That worked pretty well. Listened over 10,000 km regularly.

The antenna is easy to put up if you or a friend is able. Here's a PDF that describes the basic method I used to get it working,

also would I need an earth?

I did not use one. Tried it once but probably didn't do it right - it wasn't an improvement.

If you've not already found it, Short-Wave.info is a big help in figuring out what you're listening to.

Hope this info serves you well.

Since you are only listening the simple answer is get as much wire in the air as possable ...... and a preamp might help as well MFJ makes some SW listening preamps that are not to high dollar

I've been thinking!

I 've noticed a scratch on the tuning knob and there are loads and loads of pre-sets stored, which makes me think that someone else has had this particular radio before me!!!!:censored::censored::censored::censored:

So I've emailed them (them being the people I bought it from)for a brand new replacement!

Hmmmm my trouble with getting any height with a long wire, is that I've no trees or anything at the back of my bungalow:sad: I did have a telegraph pole, but the electricity people decided that the power cables would be better underground, so the pole went:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

The only thing I do have is a very very long washing line, which stretches 150ft from door to the bottom of the wild flower meadow I've had made!

So any more ideas???? I did think about a mast, but not sure about planning permission!!!????:whistle::whistle:

I wouldnt really think how high the antenna was/is would make much difference at those low frequencies .I would think the length would be more important .I hear of people running antennas at 10 feet off the ground and doing fine with that...along the top of a fence maybe...

Thank you for that advice!

I wouldnt really think how high the antenna was/is would make much difference at those low frequencies .I would think the length would be more important .I hear of people running antennas at 10 feet off the ground and doing fine with that...along the top of a fence maybe...

That's great news kd-5-bgt, I can definitely do that.... I mean have a longwire on top of my fence or attach it to my extra long washing line - what a great idea!!!! Thank you!!!

Can anyone of you recommend.......?

Can anyone of you recommend where to buy some long wire from on line?? As I'm not sure which would be a good buy!??

Thanks once again for ALL your very valuable advice - tis very much appreciated!!!!!

This is a great thread! I am new here and new to SWLing... I too am in need of an external antenna for my new radio (Tecsun PL-660). Lots of great ideas here...

Thanks,

Tom

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.