• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can I legally listen to HAM on my scanner?

KW4HKY

Feb 16, 2010
Is it legal to listen in on ham transmission on my programmable scanner?
If it is can anyone suggest the scanning ranges I should try? I really thought it would be a great way to learn correct protocol listening to others.

well as I remember I can scan through the 120 to 150 range, the 444 ranges. I have a Shack 100 channel programmable handheld from the late 80's & still works great. I was told it should have never been sold since it would pick up illegal analog cell calls at the time, (from HAM)

I used to have the Sky Warn freq. and would love to have those channels again with the horrid weather.

Any LEGAL help would be great

Gene

I have multiple scanners, Done alot of research. this will sum it up for you pretty well Just click on the link below. There are multiple sites where there is a ton on info on the law.

Scanner (radio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or

http://www.radioreference.com/

I can scan pretty much all freq. bands from the 3 scanners I use. There are some breaks. I will tell you scan as you feel good about scanning.
I just do not talk about what I hear. It is only for personal hobby..

But I have a blast listening!:LOL:

Have fun hope this helps.

uniden bear tracker BCT-7
realistic Pro 2006 fully modded having comp interface added.
Aor AR8600mkiiu. Canadian version.

Markip

As far as I know you are allowed to listen as long as you don't trasmit without you license. 2 meters is very popular in most areas so I would give that a try. I also hope to get my license soon too.

To the best of my knowledge, you can listen to anything except cell phone frequencies. Also, to the best of my knowledge, you can listen to but not publish, or repeat, or make profitable or illegal use of anything you hear. I think that pretty well covers it, maybe. Just as a personal view, I figure if something is transmitted through -my- personal space, and if I can 'catch it' and convert it to something i can understand or listen to, then it's 'fair game'. Cell phone frequencies weren't 'protected' until 1980(I think it was?), and while it's now illegal to listen there, I think that was the stupidest idea that ever came along. Just because you say, "Naughty! Naughty!", is that going to stop someone from doing it? Sure it will! Oh well...
- 'Doc

What Doc says is correct about what's legal and what's not.

Also Doc, I believe the reason it became illegal to listen in on cell phone conversations was that too many politicians were getting caught talking to their mistresses. :whistle:

It is legal to listen to any and all frequency's..
EXCEPT..

Listening in on cel phone frequency's

also in part to any police or law enforcement..
or rather..you can listen to but you are NOT allowed to give others any details as to what is being said..
(this is so people do not alert others to police or law enforcement presence )

One other thing..
Do NOT carry the scanner with you in the car and or on your person when walking around..
for that to is NOT allowed ( there are exceptions )

Gene, where do you live? We could probably give you some local repeater frequencies to listen in on. You can also always try 146.52.

It is legal to listen to any and all frequency's..
EXCEPT..

Listening in on cel phone frequency's

also in part to any police or law enforcement..
or rather..you can listen to but you are NOT allowed to give others any details as to what is being said..
(this is so people do not alert others to police or law enforcement presence )

One other thing..
Do NOT carry the scanner with you in the car and or on your person when walking around..
for that to is NOT allowed ( there are exceptions )

scanner laws (note i said "scanner" not "transciever",.... there is a legal diffference) vary from state to state. what may be legal in one state may not be legal in another.

bottom line, (with the exception of the restricted cell phone freqs covered by FEDERAL law) it is legal to use a transciever modified to recieve OOB (out of band) transmissions in any state, provided you have a valid amateur license.
you can monitor any transmission, including police/law enforcement freqs as long as it is not for "crimminal usage" .

I love having special privelages to listen to law enforcement that the rest of the general public does not have.

Gene, where do you live? We could probably give you some local repeater frequencies to listen in on. You can also always try 146.52.

I'm in Hickory, NC 28601

I looked up all the local clubs & programmed in their repeaters last night, but I have yet to hear anything. Strange? I scanned 140 to 150 and never heard a thing either. I know my scanner works. All the LEO & Emergency & NOAA broadcasts are fine.

Any clue what's going on?

I'm in Hickory, NC 28601

I looked up all the local clubs & programmed in their repeaters last night, but I have yet to hear anything. Strange? I scanned 140 to 150 and never heard a thing either. I know my scanner works. All the LEO & Emergency & NOAA broadcasts are fine.

Any clue what's going on?

did you program in the input or the output freq?

No idea why you haven't heard something, at least a repeater ID'ing. I know that there are days, here, that about the only thing you will hear is that ID, no one using it, at least when I was listening.
- 'Doc

Ham radio seems to have dropped off quite a bit over the past decade.

I'm in a populous area and only a few repeaters show any real activity. There are plently of evenings when nothing is heard...

Ham radio seems to have dropped off quite a bit over the past decade.

I'm in a populous area and only a few repeaters show any real activity. There are plently of evenings when nothing is heard...

I left the scanner on today. Looks like your right about ham dieing out. I heard plenty of auto repeater signals, and 2 conversations that consisted of "can I call you on the cell phone?"

Wish I had waited on ordering the Study Guide. Kind of useless spending money on equipment if no ones talking. I guess it makes sense when you can talk all day every day on your cell for $70 a month. I'm going to ditch my land line. I hardly ever use it.

Not so.
Recent statistics have pointed out that there were more new Hams over the last year. In fact, the amount of new Hams in one year had not seen a huge rise like this in over twenty years.

If the scanner is slow, it is probably due to the fact that you were listening to the 2 meter band. Problem is; most of the Hams out there aren't on 2m - when skip conditions are present like they are now. They are on the 10m and above when conditions are as good as we have seen ALL WEEK!

The radio was burning up today on 10 and 11 meters! I never heard so much action as today. It was off of the hook - both internationally and domestically. Probably tomorrow too!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.