• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can someone explain why nobody uses upper sideband?

USB is used but it seems here in USA LSB is most common.

You will find many EU stations as well as other countries on USB especially if you are on the free band frequencies.

If you get licensed usb is used 20 meters and up, lsb 40 meters and down.

Reactions: L2 and Red 5
When I was on 11m I used USB much more than LSB because that eas where the action was. Technically they are identical and neither offers an advantage over the other except when close to another station frequency wise.

Reactions: bob85 and Red 5
Because it sounds good to say "go to the low side"

Common practice in Amateur radio is below 10.000 MHz is LSB and above 10.000 MHz is USB except for 60 meters which is channelized and only five SSB channels. CB radio is whatever whenever.

I used to hear USB on the free band frequencies from DX stations when I used to listen there. Try 27.515 thru 27.555.

Reactions: wavrider and Red 5
So originally in the USA, when there were only 23 channels, CH 16 LSB was the SSB channel, I seem to recall something about the fact that there was a 20khz gap between 15 and 16 (Ch 15a) and therefore less interference using LSB. Add to that the fact you could modifiy the clarifier w/ 10khz slide and gain yet another place to talk. Anyway, that is what I seem to recall. I figure that is why USA folks still gravitate to LSB. The rest of the world seems to like USB outside the USA frequencies and the near to USA freeband frequencies.

I could be wrong too, I don't know how many of my brain cells still exist from the days when I had a 23 channel radio. If nothing else, it's a good story.

Thanks for all the replies! It's just sad that 38 lsb sounds like 19 am much of the time.
Can someone tell me if there's a difference between 10 meter ssb and 11 meter ssb? With a 10 meter radio, you can't talk on 11 meters can you?

SSB is a mode of operation or the eay the radio signal is modulated if you will. The designation of 10m or 11m or whatever is an approximation of the wavelength of frequencies in that band. 300÷F(mhz)=wavelength in meters. A 10m radio operates 28-29.7 Mhz while an 11m radio operates 26.965-27.405 which is the legal CB band. Most 10m radios are sold as such to get around FCC regulations and are easily modifiable for 11m frequencies and then some.

Reactions: NZ8N
SSB is a mode of operation or the eay the radio signal is modulated if you will. The designation of 10m or 11m or whatever is an approximation of the wavelength of frequencies in that band. 300÷F(mhz)=wavelength in meters. A 10m radio operates 28-29.7 Mhz while an 11m radio operates 26.965-27.405 which is the legal CB band. Most 10m radios are sold as such to get around FCC regulations and are easily modifiable for 11m frequencies and then some.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Thanks for all the replies! It's just sad that 38 lsb sounds like 19 am much of the time.
Can someone tell me if there's a difference between 10 meter ssb and 11 meter ssb? With a 10 meter radio, you can't talk on 11 meters can you?

10 meters requires an Amateur license and used by Amatuer radio operators.

10 meters is great when band openings are ideal for worldwide DX, stateside contacts, and even 10 meter repeaters along with other CW and digital modes too.

11 meters to me not worth the time anymore. On the SSB frequencies, all you here is 30 or more people at the same time hollering out their numbers hoping someone will pick them up in between 2 big stations hogging up the frequency with their 2 way going on.

What fun is that!?

If you do catch a good DX(outside the US) you will be lucky to hold much of a QSO because you will be stepped on by the bigger radios who are impatient and could care less if you are in QSO!

On 11 meters, bigger radios have priorty!

Does that seem like fun?

If you are really interested in radio, consider getting a Ham license. It is not hard to get, only requires a small filing fee, and you can make worldwide contacts that are confirmed and even receive awards to display on the wall to show for your accomplishments if you desire.

Reactions: Turbo T and Red 5
britain has been using 27.275 lsb as a dx calling freq since they got legal ssb previlages,,,,,,,have made many contacts here lately,,,,,,,,,,channel 16 lsb has been a gathering spot for folks with 23 channel collectable radios to use and ragchew some,,,,

10 meter SSB isn't bad but most of the people I've talked to are just wanting to put a new callsign in the log book and move on. There's nothing wrong with that if that's your thing I've ran across a couple of guys rag chewing on 10 but it's mostly DXers.

I've been listening on 40 meters and really like the casual atmosphere. Just guys speaking plain english and enjoying the radio. It's like a local CB crowd with manners, no troublemakers and a lot more range. When the weather improves I plan to get a multi band antenna up so I can do more than listen.

Reactions: WECSOG and Red 5
11 meters to me not worth the time anymore. On the SSB frequencies, all you here is 30 or more people at the same time hollering out their numbers hoping someone will pick them up in between 2 big stations hogging up the frequency with their 2 way going on.

What fun is that!?

If you do catch a good DX(outside the US) you will be lucky to hold much of a QSO because you will be stepped on by the bigger radios who are impatient and could care less if you are in QSO!

On 11 meters, bigger radios have priorty!

Does that seem like fun?

If you are really interested in radio, consider getting a Ham license. It is not hard to get, only requires a small filing fee, and you can make worldwide contacts that are confirmed and even receive awards to display on the wall to show for your accomplishments if you desire.

LOL you do realize that you just described a 20m DX pile up to a TEE don't you? :LOL: Check out any DX'pedition and it sounds the same. 14.195 can be a real zoo. :p

britain has been using 27.275 lsb as a dx calling freq since they got legal ssb previlages,,,,,,,have made many contacts here lately,,,,,,,,,,channel 16 lsb has been a gathering spot for folks with 23 channel collectable radios to use and ragchew some,,,,
That sounds awesome! I love the vintage radios! I never hear ssb on 1-23.

Check out any DX'pedition and it sounds the same.

Good point, but you know as well as anybody in ham radio that is only limited to a small fraction of amateur operations.

Dx expeditions are ridiculous! My only hope of getting in is by catching them early when they first start up, otherwise, forget it!
That's for the hardcore live and die for at all cost to get that rare Dx contact that unfortunatly does recall a lot of the same conduct of the 11 meter operators.

But a lot of us aren't serious Dx chasers and have made many Dx contacts along with ragchews and casual roundtable groups with many corteous and respectful operators.

As a ham, i always find myself going back to 11m, because it is downright fun, and there are a lot of great folks out there on the radio.
I feel some amateurs want to over complicate things by the way we speak on the air. it's pretty funny.
When it comes down to it, i just love radio, does't matter what band they all have their merits.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated