• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

car - antenna install question

-Devil-

KD5ZJU
Dec 9, 2009
North Louisiana
Okay, i have a 2008 scion xB ... i would like to keep from drilling a hole in the roof for an installif at all possible. so i know my options are mag, or clamp (on rear hatch) ...

but i am wondering, i am fixing to install a clamp on roof rack for holding Mountain Bikes... i have never dealt with clamp on mounts for something like that... would it be workable? or are the other two options better? ...

for right now it will be for 2m and 440 ... but after i upgrade my lisc may include the lower stuff as well.

my one book i have on antenna's doesn't seem to explain anything against clamping a bracket onto the center bar for a roof rack ... but since it is a clamp on rack and not one that is bolted to the car, not sure if there would be any issues.

As long as the rack is grounded to the rest of the car you should be fine,from what I can tell that would be the only catch.

The trunk lip would be good as well.In some cases you might have to run a ground strap to the car body up by the hinge

The bottom line is just be sure that you have a good ground

As long as the rack is grounded to the rest of the car you should be fine,from what I can tell that would be the only catch.

The trunk lip would be good as well.In some cases you might have to run a ground strap to the car body up by the hinge

The bottom line is just be sure that you have a good ground

ok thanks that is what i was thinking... would have to run a ground wire from the rack mount to the body .. since the clamp on has rubber isolation pads where it comes in contact with the body ... may go ahead and consider the clamp on mount for the hatch. will have to look at it again to make sure there is enough to clamp onto.

yeah thats the kind i am thinking about ... only problem is i would have to mount it about 2/3 the way down on my rear hatch on one side just above the tail light ... the upper part of mine has a lip... but folds down into the body when opened ... so may end up leaning back to the clamp on mount with a ground wire or two ran from the clamp.

Another option would be to use a 'hood' mount. Couple of ways to do that. Not much good for a 'largish' HF antenna, but should handle any VHF/UHF just fine.
And then there's always the 'make your own mounting bracket' type thingy. Not as easy as a 'store bought' one, but certainly possible to do, or have 'bent up' for you. Paint it the same color as your vehicle (Wal-mart...touch-up paint).
- 'Doc

Another option would be to use a 'hood' mount. Couple of ways to do that. Not much good for a 'largish' HF antenna, but should handle any VHF/UHF just fine.
And then there's always the 'make your own mounting bracket' type thingy. Not as easy as a 'store bought' one, but certainly possible to do, or have 'bent up' for you. Paint it the same color as your vehicle (Wal-mart...touch-up paint).
- 'Doc

hmmm didn't think about that ... guess its time to just walk around the car and check it out more ... see what other places could possibly be used ...

the stock antenna for the xB is on their roof .. close to the back of the car.

(Drill the hole, nobody will ever know, and the car will only whimper a little bit then forget about it.)
- 'Doc

"for right now it will be for 2m and 440 ... but after i upgrade my lisc may include the lower stuff as well."

Most VHF/UHF antennas by Comet and Diamond DO NOT NEED A GROUND. I have several Antennas and Mounts by them that do not require a ground and I can open repeaters up to 90 miles away.

"for right now it will be for 2m and 440 ... but after i upgrade my lisc may include the lower stuff as well."

Most VHF/UHF antennas by Comet and Diamond DO NOT NEED A GROUND. I have several Antennas and Mounts by them that do not require a ground and I can open repeaters up to 90 miles away.

hmmm? thanks for the tip. will look into those brands.

I use a Diamond NR 770 mag mount for my radio; as I don't have a rack. But I know a lot of guys who buy and use the clamp mount/type for their racks. It's pretty easy to fold them down. Diamond and Comet are both commonly used brands. I bought the Diamond because I think they have a bit more quality in their products. You have to pay a bit more for them too.
I also have a Diamond X-50 base antenna for my shack.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.