• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Gift for a family friend.

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
I had the opportunity to give a radio away to a great friend. I was kinda happy this RX so well. I have a really close family friend that is in a personal care home. It is a rural setting. He is now blind. His 100th birthday is coming up. He can still walk and get around with assistance. About 90% mentally still with us. He enjoys listening to his base station scanner and AM talk radio. He lost his CB a few years back. TX with shorted coax. I am giving him a Pearce Simpson Pussycat 23 for his room. I rigged the antenna with a 2 1/2 inch mag mount with a Radio Shack 60 inch base load SS whip I had. I set the magnet on the case directly above the power supply just to test the SWR for the heck of it. I attached a note to the top to please do not key the mic. I am just writing this update, because I was surprised that the setup received as well as it did with local traffic. I was expecting excessive noise. I did not get any more noise than normal usage. I was also surprised that I got an SWR below 3.0 on channel 20. It was 2.9, but still without a gound plane, with a mag mount on a 14 X 10 metal box. The old base station was peaked and tunes and had a cap replaced by Bob's CB. I had called it my a dead key, no swing radio. I remember sending this to Bob. It was sticking in transmit after heavy usage. I attached a note saying, "If it is not worth it, don't fix it." I got it back- Cap replaced. Peak and Tune 24.00. Happy to see the old crystal radio going to a good home. The "Grousehunter" alway enjoyed listening to truck drivers. He lives about 2 miles line of sight from I-70 about 10 miles from Exit 11, Dallas Pike, WV.

Reactions: 3 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned