• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cb repair place/guy

Sorry for the double post did see the first one so I did another one. Yeah the radio is a cobra 139 xlr base station with a digiscan-400 attached to it I'm thinking I weights on around 10-12 lbs. from oregon to Pennsylvania can't be cheap that why I would like someone near by so I can hand deliver it.

If you end up shipping the radio the USPS and FedEx would probably be the cheapest way to ship the radio. UPS is usually much more expensive.

The UPS in California are notorious for doing awful terrible things to packages,I know. UPS wouldn't be one of my choice's ever not unless they get their act together. You need an oversized box with plenty of packing(some kind of armor)and INSURANCE!!!!
I ordered(from Cali)and returned the same polished aluminum billet grill for my car three times because it kept getting damaged until I realized that it was the business's packing department that shipped me the item. I feel that UPS was partly to blame.

coyoteman, this is a warning that you would be wise to heed.

the 139XLR, depending on what production run it is, has a serious tendency to crack the PC board. especially as the radio gets older.

shipping this radio might be the last thing you ever do to it.
UPS and the like are none too nice when it comes to handling packages, and most get thrown at least half a dozen times on their way to their destination.

there are ways to brace the PC board using dense rubber foam or something like it, but you must make sure that the material you use is non-conductive, and anti-static.

i would be very leary about shipping it.
100 dollars worth of gas could get you around 400 miles (give or take), so maybe you can find a shop within 100 or so miles of you, since you'd have to make two trips.

that radio is old enough to have a kid that can vote, and that means that all the electrolytic capacitors should be replaced. this is commonly known as "re-capping", and should run around 100 dollars for parts and labor.

there is a good chance that is all thats wrong with your radio.
paying good money to have a radio this old repaired, and not re-capping it is a waste of money because if one or more of them havent gone south yet, they most certainly will once you start using that radio again.

i sure hope you can find someone in your area to do the job for you, and then give the radio a full alignment.

BTW, snakeradios can and will do the re-cap job and the alignment, but i would never recommend anyone have him try to troubleshoot a problem.
LC

Agreed, and don't tell them it's fragile. Seems like they take it and use it as a football or something. I double wrapped and bubble wrap the crap out of anything I send these days. USPS seems to be the worst as far as shipping goes. Fed ex isn't too bad, but they all have disgruntled employees that don't care about what the box says. Do like LC said and fill the gas tank and find something kind of close. Those old radios WILL break the board. I know I had an old 148 do it to me. Ruined radio!

Thanks guys on the info i emailed a place north of me in washington state seattle area just waiting on a reply from him. its about 200 miles one way UGH!!!!i also emailed a guy in cali also wait for reply. snake repair did not want to do my 132xlr so im guessing he wont touch the 139 xlr i plan on sending him my 148 gtl (taiwan) it looks to cost min $150.00 to have it gone through but it will be fresh and ready to go.

150, for what? Send that radio to DTB radios and have a better job done and not get raped on price. Check around before shipping to snake radio. If you are going to ship it, send it to DTB radio. JMO. God bless

Reactions: 2 people
150, for what? Send that radio to DTB radios and have a better job done and not get raped on price. Check around before shipping to snake radio. If you are going to ship it, send it to DTB radio. JMO. God bless

I agree! DTB Radio does excellent work and his prices are very reasonable.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.