• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cb stryker 490

military mike

Jun 25, 2014
Hi all I bought a Stryker 490 and use it in my rig works great... Wondering how or if it can talk on side bands somehow.? Also any info on how the fm switch work and any info as I don't know much about it . Its my first 10 meter .thanks

If It doesn't have ssb, meaning, lsb (lower side band) and usb (upper side band), then no you can't talk on sideband. You have frequency bands on the radio I take it? These are different frequencies and some if not most are 10 or 12 meter, minus the 11 meter band. If you want a side band radio, the optima mk3, stryker 955hp, rci 2950, or the magnum 257hp all have side band and are all good radios. Some have had issues with all of them, it's part of the hobby. Most of the time they are fine. Just don't buy from a truck stop shop. JMO.

Thats right if you want to talk SSB you need a radio with USB LSB on the mode selector ;) There for you need a new radio to talk SSB.

Mike. When you're talking about frequencies or channels above and below cb radio frequencies, you don't want to refer to them as "side bands". People will get confused. Sideband is another form of transmission, not a different channel. That radio has AM and FM. Some radios have single side band, (upper Sideband and lower Sideband). Channel 19 on cb freqs is 27.185mhz. You can talk am, fm or SSB on that channel. What you're meaning to ask is how far can you talk on the other frequencies outside of the cb radio frequency range. The answer is basically the same distance as the cb radio frequencies.

CbRadiosPRONTO

Good information so far. The stryker 490 has 8 bands of 40 channels. You can only talk am or fm though, that is not a sideband radio. There is not much fm traffic in the usa either so you will have to have a local friend with an fm radio help you try it out. Remember fm is all carrier so your meter will not swing like it does on am. Also the radio will get warm fast in fm mode. I should also say, stay off the 10m ham frequencys in that radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.