• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB with VFO

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
What is your opinion of allowing a CB to have a VFO instead of a channelized system in order to allow full use of its allowed spectrum ?

Not a bad idea but IMO it would only work to it's full advantage if the mode was SSB only. I can just see it now,two AM stations about 2 KHz off freq talking to each other taking up even more bandwidth than they do now and complaining that each other sounds "a little scratchy on voice peaks". You know what I mean.Ever listen to an AM radio station when the station is not quite tuned in properly. :headbang

I guess I should have clarified better. I am looking more at the idea of it being a better option rather than if the FCC would allow it. I'm sure it wouldn't fly . I agree QRN. I think if it were possible that it was an SSB option only would be a great idea. There is a lot of the band's spectrum being wasted .

Sonwatcher,
You're right, there is a lot of spectrum being wasted. Unfortunately, a 'VFO' would only make that waste more, not less. Can you imagine the mess if the FCC's 'SWAT' team were disbanded completely as far as a 'VFO' goes? I don't even want to think about it! I think one way of clearing up part of that waste would be to do away with AM completely, you'd 'double' the number of possible channels. And after that statement, you'd better put your fingers in your ears! :)
- 'Doc

CB doesn't have a "spectrum" only the 40 channels. Because other agency's have use of the channels in between the CB channels. In this day and age I could not imagine anyone using those freqs. for communication but I have a dog collar that uses 27.190 for remote control!

CB doesn't have a "spectrum" only the 40 channels. Because other agency's have use of the channels in between the CB channels. In this day and age I could not imagine anyone using those freqs. for communication but I have a dog collar that uses 27.190 for remote control!

Sorry. Spectrum was not the appropriate word(y)
Speaking of the other channels one night CDX-4540 and I were talking on the radio and he got the tar scared out of him.:D He was sitting in the dark and heard a whining noise. Here when he keyed up his radio controlled airplane was wanting to take off. LOL !

I'm not sure there are enough "good" radio operators on CB to make it work. What I mean by that is that it takes a certain amount of technical knowledge to understand that you can't just go 2khz away from another station and start talking on AM. SSB operators usually understand this, but there are an awful lot of CB users that just want to be able to turn the radio on, flip it to a channel and talk. They don't want to worry about bothering someone a few khz away. That's what makes channels work so good on CB, VHF Marine, etc.

Now, I do think that we should be allowed to use SSB on any frequency in the CB band. That's never going to happen, but it would be a good idea, IMO. I think it would definately help cut down on some of the out of band operation.

Continuing the thought...there is a local CB SSB net that is run here on Sunday nights. I tuned into one night to see what it was about. The problem is that most of the radio operators that check in to the net are normally AM only operators. So when they flip over to SSB, they still operate the same way and it becomes a mess. When you have the mic gain turned up too much, are a little (or a lot) of frequency on SSB, it trashes the whole net. My experience listening in on that net makes me believe that the average CB operator that just wants to use AM would never go through the hassle of learning how to get it right for a VFO style radio.

Continuing the thought...there is a local CB SSB net that is run here on Sunday nights. I tuned into one night to see what it was about. The problem is that most of the radio operators that check in to the net are normally AM only operators. So when they flip over to SSB, they still operate the same way and it becomes a mess. When you have the mic gain turned up too much, are a little (or a lot) of frequency on SSB, it trashes the whole net. My experience listening in on that net makes me believe that the average CB operator that just wants to use AM would never go through the hassle of learning how to get it right for a VFO style radio.
Simple, give radios that have the same quality and filtering capabilities as hf sets have and it's all good until someone gets out the old screwdriver and changes things as has happened to every frequency out there.

It'll never work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.