• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB's in cars?

-Spazmatic- said:
I really do not want to modify the vehicle at all if possible. I do understand the practicality of the issue, and I do agree it's probably my best bet to go that route...however I guess I don't NEED the CB that bad, I just miss having it. If I could get a mile or two of dependable range, I'd be happy.

In your case, I think using a GOOD quality splitter would be acceptable. Its been a very long time since I installed a splitter or sold a splitter to anyone, so I can't recommend a specific brand anymore, but I used to have good results from Paradynamics. There was one other out there, might have been Radio Shack, that seemed to do well. Don't skimp on this part, and make sure you have someone tune it properly before using your CB.

sounds like your not looking for anything to spectacular here , and in this case your not going to get very good performance whatever you get . Sounds more like you would like to listen more then talk maybe ? So you don't want a mag-mount , they have some cheapy no-ground plane antenna's about 2ft long with clips on them that you put on your drivers or passenger side windows and just roll them up ! Range is limitied as far as TX goes (how far is a good guess ?) but the RX on them isn't bad ,at least from the one I had tried out.
im001850df1.jpg

CB's in Cars

I may not know much about splitters. :?: But cellular ant. on glass is worth SH#@. :x I know you said you were'nt looking for a magnet mount :!: ; But belive it or not I have on my Pontiac Sunfire a Little Wil' which is similar to the wilson 1000 but smaller in size( 32''-36") including the base, Hooked up' to a $30 Midland 1001z & I get an Impressive 6 miles out of it. :shock: No Tweaks have been made on the midland; just the ANT. cut till I got a SWR of 1.2 8)

I've been using Wilson 1000/5000s for over 15 years now , I just came across a used lil'wil , I was not impressed )-: , with the 36in. stinger that came with it and after cutting it down to 34in's after all was said and done ,I couldn't get better then a 3.0 on 2 different cars ! ? Go figure huh ? ,as I said ,it was used but in excellent condition , I have heard over the years that these were decent little start me up antenna's , I could live with a 2.0 as long as no power is involved but 3.0 , IM just not impressed . Maybe I just have a bad one ? Maybe to much power might have been driven through this one ? (I really have no way of telling that) but up to this point , I don't think I can reccomend this antenna to anybody. Hopefully more will be revieled to me in the near future on these lil'wil's ? until then , IM not impressed. )-: ................also many times over the years I have seen where some K-40s matched out better then Wilsons did on certain situations, reminds me of fiberglass motor homes we use to do installs on , we would use a metal type tape and silacone to make a ground plane on top of the motor homes and a bracket that you could fit a star mount on , we could always get about a 1.5 with the K-40s but Wilsons were always in the higher 2.0s .

I recently put a lil wil on the wife's car and it works great!SWR about 1.2 after tuning across the channels.Remember to tune antenna with doors closed and away from structures and power lines.If you can't get a decent SWR with the lil wil then something is wrong with it.

i had a lil will mag mounted on my roof befor i got my 10-k . the 10-k is definately a better antenna but the lil will is far from a crap antenna . i got good reports on my set up with it running both barefoot and not . SWR's were not a problem either . they're rated for 300 watts i think , mine handled 170 easy . they're only 30 bucks and it never hurts to have an extra antenna incase your main one gets damaged or missing .
my local shop that i got it from set the SWR's free after i got it installed and the cable routed . yours probally will too .i had someone check it behind them and it was fine .

goodluck

sportygreg said:
I tried both of those years ago when I didn't know any better-total junk!Better off with an unappealing mag mount -at least you can remove it and your signal will get out.
Go ahaed and get a glass mount and report back to us.

sportygreg said:
I recently put a lil wil on the wife's car and it works great!SWR about 1.2 after tuning across the channels.Remember to tune antenna with doors closed and away from structures and power lines.If you can't get a decent SWR with the lil wil then something is wrong with it.

after years of this stuff , and hearing they are decent little antenna's ,this must be a bad one )-: I even changed the 259 on it and it didn't help. Next time I come across another one , I might be able to make up my mind if it is a worthy antenna or not. I can believe a guy like Park saying he's gotten a good match on one .

hope I didn't confuse you Park , I was refering to the little Wil , as far as the roll up the window no-ground plane antenna as I mentioned, does match good enough to be used , question is ? What does the guy want ? People tend to ask questions all the time but at the same time ,they tend to leave so much out ,the rest can be guess work for guys like me and you ? We are all not perfectionists in this hobby , some folks just use cb's for car to car when they go on trips and there basically behind one another ect. ect. , some folks just buy them for traffic reports , some folks just by them thinking it might come in handy for cross country Trips . even going back to the disco days when cb was at it's peak , it surely wasn't for everybody. Anyday of the week you can go on Ebay and basically find 5000 or so cb's for sale ,many of them in the 20 to 30 year old range , IM guessing I've more then likely have bought over 100 or so radios off of Ebay over the last 6 years or so , I'd say at least 80% of them were all in the good and when I say good , I mean never touched !! (and they came from all over the United States) that tells me a lot , if all those radios came from folks that really got into this hobby , I'd bet money that they would have been tuned, because , 9 times out of 10 ,those who do get into this hobby get them done. I think it's pretty easy to tell when buying a radio off of Ebay , look to see what they are selling and buying , if you happen to see that they have not baught or sold any other radios , it's a good chance and I say chance, the radio has not been touch and or raped , the 20% of radios that I got that didn't work or needed repair ,for the most part ,came from folks that had lots of dealings with radios in there feedbacks. This is just my experiance....off track a bit here but when it flows I just let it go. :)

Nice, My wife would love that antenna. I have a white Accord with a white Wilson 1000, and it does look awkward but the performance is there.

Running a Realistic TRC 465 w/ Wilson 1000.

Would be willing to try out this ant.

Hey dude w/ the G6, this is the best Antenna for that speed demond of yours, not only it looks slick, it blends in with the cars contour, that bullet like bottom load.

That Daimond ant + a Magnum 357. Nice and compact. You can stuff it in the center console.

Just my 2¢

Aloha 1-5

KI4MSJ said:
Along the lines of the Diamond mount aforementioned, there is also a mount called a hide away mount. It mounts to the inside of your trunk and when not in use, it folds down into the trunk. Try this one....

http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k601m.html

Hey spaz, chop off the top and get a Wilson 5000 roof mount and mount it on the trunk or get a Wilson 5000.

Heres some pix I made up.

But hey the daimon ant I think is the best option for ya.

Aloha 1-5 james.

G6convertiblecopy.jpg

-Spazmatic- said:
I'm looking for ideas on an antenna that would work well on a car. I have a 2006 G6 GT and I really miss the CB my bronco has. I was told that my best option would be to get one of those small cell-phone looking antennas that stick to your rear glass. I have heard bad things about these, but I'm sure you all have some ideas on what I could do.

I will not do a bumper mount, and Mag mounts don't look appealing to me. Someone told me about a splitter that uses my radio antenna as a CB antenna, but the thing about that is that my radio antenna is actually a grid on my rear window, it's not a physical antenna. I currently have no antennas protruding from my vehicle.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.