• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Changing angle of groundplane

pjatt

Jul 25, 2008
Is it wise to change the angle of the "groundplanes" on a A99 from its orginal angle to 90*,could it be a "smart way" to save space ?, the A99 is going to be mounted on top off a 4 elememt yagi beam :confused:

That 'angle of the dangle', the 'droop' in the radials, determines the feed point impedance. So, changing it can, and will, change the 'tune' of the antenna. Since the 'A99' has an adjustable 'tuning' method, you can probably 'droop' those radials all you want and get away with it. I still find it debatable that it would need, or benifit from, radials so you could get away with not having any at all, as far as I'm concerned. I also don't intend to open that can of worms again, so the answer to your question is a very definite, maybe.
- 'Doc

Welcome to the forum Pjatt. I would just put up the A99 without the GPK. Most reports tell us that there is no benefit noted in adding a GPK. I'm not sure that is exactly the case, but it for sure won't be much and maybe not even noticable. So, why go to the trouble? Just put it about a foot or two above the boom of the beam (if horizontal) and wait for the DX to get better.

Well im going to follow your advise and putting it up whit no gpk,prio nr 1 is to get beam working well and A99 is just for "lokal chatts"...thanks for shearing your point of views (y)

Forget the GPK. If your beam is horizontal ,mount the A99 about a foot above the beam and the beam will act as a groundplane of sorts. It will be all you will need. May have to retune the A99 slightly.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.