1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

Changing call tone on VX-8R

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by Brandon1, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Brandon1

Brandon1 Member

I cant, for the life of me, figure out how to change the call tone on my VX-8R to hit some repeaters. Some need a 88.5 or maybe an 82.5 tone to access them. How the heck do you change the tone so I can access the repeaters?

2. Luke_C

Luke_C KD0GBK

In the A/B band you wish to operate in; Hold down the Menu button until the menu selection comes up. Scroll to #99, Tone Frequency. Press Menu again. Select the desired tone.

Menu again to exit, then PTT button to get back to the main operating screen.

---- OR ---- The Shortcut Way

FW (Function Key) -> then #2 ("Code" in Orange above the #2 key) -> Select desired Tone -> #2 Key again to get back to the operating mode.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  3. Brandon1

Brandon1 Member

I tried that just now, and I still cant access several repeaters only miles away.
  4. KE5MC

KE5MC Guest

another possibility

Shift direction and offset?
  5. Rocky

Rocky Member

an other possibility

...if the APRS-Modem is set active (in APRS-Settings 4) there is no way to apply or change call tones...
  6. ke7vvt

ke7vvt Active Member

Yup, good one.
  7. Brandon1

Brandon1 Member

Modem was off. I have tried many things, but still cant key up repeaters that require a different tone. One of them is a 145.110mhz repeater only 3 miles away. If I can key up a repeater 30+ miles away, surely I can key up one 3 miles away?
  8. SR385

SR385 Active Member

Repeater directories lie, many machines aren't on line and the PL is frequently wrong.

Just checking, but these machines work with other radios you own? You know they are up and running and reachable with all the same information?

And...no not necessarily, re: keying a machine 3 miles away. Too many variables to say that for sure. I've definitely had machines close that I couldn't key, when I was DFQ into machines 20+ air miles away. Lots of variables.
  9. Luke_C

Luke_C KD0GBK

Maybe try to make contact with a regular user of that repeater off another machine. They might know if something's changed with the repeaters required tone/offset/shift direction.