• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cheap alternative to Gunny riser

I was scratching my head about that one this morning CK. The .5:1. Had to look twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things or in this case not seeing things LOL.

Two things, how did you get an SWR of less than 1:1 when it is impossible? I assume you meant 1.5:1 perhaps? Yeah I know picky but correct nevertheless. Secondly something was wrong somewhere. There is no way a few inches of stainless would show that much resistance regardless of the nickel content. Think about how lossy the entire antenna would be if the resistance of it was hundreds of ohms from being almost 9 FEET long. Perhaps there was corrosion inside where the ferrules were attached to the ends of the riser because the stainless itself would NEVER have that much resistance. I have seen crap like that on antenna connections happen many times before especially in areas where road salt is used in the winter.
Sorry typo in the swr which should have showed 1:1.
I'm an electrician, been chasing sparky for 40 years. I'm just passing on what I discovered with my antenna setup. Don't need someone getting shi**y with me about it. If I'm getting 26 ohms of resistance from the riser while it's laying on the table your entire statement was a waste of your time and mine having to respond!
Thanks though for pointing out my typographical errors.
Good day!

WOW! Calm down buddy. It didn't look like any typo but rather a lack of understanding since the minimum is 1:1. A LOT of people make that same mistake but most all of them learn and thank people for teaching them something. I couldn't care less if you are an electrician. I fact I would think an electrician would understand it is NOT possible for a foot or less of ANY kind of stainless steel to have that high of a resistance. If you want to get into experience and knowledge of resistance I'll draw on my 22 years I spent as a commercial broadcast engineer. Measure an entire length of a 102 whip if you don't believe. It will be a fraction of an ohm or thereabouts.

Reactions: Beetle
Sorry typo in the swr which should have showed 1:1.
I'm an electrician, been chasing sparky for 40 years. I'm just passing on what I discovered with my antenna setup. Don't need someone getting shi**y with me about it. If I'm getting 26 ohms of resistance from the riser while it's laying on the table your entire statement was a waste of your time and mine having to respond!
Thanks though for pointing out my typographical errors.
Good day!

He was trying to be of help and you snap at him like this?

Seriously, you really should pay attention to him. If your stainless steel riser really does have that much resistance, and you really are getting a 1:1 SWR, then how much power that makes it to the antenna is actually being radiated? Serious question.

I do find it strange that someone who claims to be an electrician gets 26 ohms on a short length of metal, any metal, and then puts it out there like it is something that is common and should be happening.

I'm not going to say that it is impossible for a short piece of stainless steel to have that much resistance, there are isotopes that I know little to nothing about. However I find it very unlikely that such a short piece of stainless steel intended for antenna use will have anything more than a very tiny amount of resistance, and by that I mean far less than one ohm. I believe you when you say you measured that resistance, but the fact that you measured that resistance and claim to be an electrician just brings up more questions for me. With the way you snapped at someone else, I don't think I'll ask them though.

The DB

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Well it looks like Ropeslinger deleted his posts in a huff. His note said he did it because he was "out of here". Gotta love people that cannot be told they are wrong even when common sense says so. I'll try and remember to reinstate his posts in this thread tonight when I am home on the computer. Doing admin work on a tiny phone screen with big fingers is inviting disaster. LOL

Reactions: wavrider
Nothing wrong with that, I use a riser myself. It is hard to be sure a spring you get online will be enough to support some of the larger antennas. Having used both, I prefer the riser myself.

The DB
I have used a barrel spring before, and it wasn't strong enough. Used a thin straight one, and it was actually better. Currently not using any spring and using it for 10 meters. I've never tried a riser, but it seems like it would work well to match 11 meters.

Brett

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
i have on my ranger a military/government spring that i bought at government auction about 35 years ago,,,,,,it and a/s whip has been in use ever since then thru all my vehicles,,,,i have never seen a better spring it is strong,, the whip doesnt lay down at highway speeds,,,,and takes impacts well,,,, it and whip with hustler c 32 ball mount matches up nicely,,,,,

I have used a barrel spring before, and it wasn't strong enough. Used a thin straight one, and it was actually better. Currently not using any spring and using it for 10 meters. I've never tried a riser, but it seems like it would work well to match 11 meters.

Brett

I used nothing at the base of a fiberglass whip on 10m. It worked great and leaned back far less than with a spring.

Well it looks like Ropeslinger deleted his posts in a huff. His note said he did it because he was "out of here". Gotta love people that cannot be told they are wrong even when common sense says so. I'll try and remember to reinstate his posts in this thread tonight when I am home on the computer. Doing admin work on a tiny phone screen with big fingers is inviting disaster. LOL

Whew....finally sitting at the computer after getting the day off me in the shower. Admin work is sooooo much easier, and safer, on the PC versus the tiny phone screen.I wouldn't want to do as one admin did one time a loooong while ago and lock myself out of the forum and have to email someone to let him back in. LOL

I have NO problem whatsoever with someone not knowing something but refusing to even listen to reason or common sense especially when that person should be knowledgeable about what it is he/she is speaking and then berate someone for pointing out the error is where I draw the line. That is the reason I undeleted the posts in case there are any questions.

2atrollspraycv9j

All my digging around reveals that 8 gauge stainless steel wire (302 and 304 types) which approximates the size of an antenna base is
.026526 ohms per foot which contrasts with a statement made above by approximately a factor of 1000:1. Even if a different alloy was used it would still be in the ballpark.

Source: http://chemelec.com/Metal-Resistance/Metal-Resistance.htm

I am thinking that he is calling the needle sitting on the 1 and just quivering 1:1! I would call it that. Most of the SWR meters I owned in my teens had 1-1.2-1.5 then a tic and 3,4,5,7 etc...in red. Graduation between the number's in black etc....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.