• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cleaning up a radio ???

Have the Wife clean it with her tooth brush and a little dishwasher solution.!

No I would use a soft cloth and a non abrasive cleaner, Windex or window cleaner if you need something a little stronger smell it first. don't scratch it of skuff it off, Try it on a test spot. If you have a junk radio test it there first, The knobs are plastic so be careful. I have a mobile in the work van and I am a mechanic..I always take the time to clean my hands good. While I am getting paid on the job !!! helps to keep my radio clean too.

Almost forgot for 49.99 I will sell you a bottle 1.5 oz CB cleaner and polish. protects and shines,and restores all internal parts with out removing the cover.It's my last one. (as seen on T.V. and made by Ronco in the 70's)<gotproof>

If its a piece of equipment that I just acquired, I remove all knobs and soak in warm water with some dish detergent first. Then use a soft toothbrush if necessary.
For the equipment I already own, I try not to get them dirty.

For imitation chrome knobs, I soak them in a solution of Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol for a few minutes, maybe longer depending how much crud is on them. While rinsing, I use a soft bristle toothbrush to remove any remaining dirt. Works awesome.

Almost forgot for 49.99 I will sell you a bottle 1.5 oz CB cleaner and polish. protects and shines,and restores all internal parts with out removing the cover.It's my last one. (as seen on T.V. and made by Ronco in the 70's)<gotproof>

Didn't this stuff used to come free with the Ronco aerosol can of SWR remover? I still have a can..works like a charm ;)

i have always used windex, and an old toothbrush.

i have never encountered a knob (from a CB radio you pervs!) that windex would not clean.

one thing that i dont see mentioned is removing the little felt pieces that are stuffed inside the knobs.
its there for a reason!

if you get it soaked, it can lose its "springiness?" and when you put the knobs back on the radio, they will push on too far and can scratch the faceplate.

so, first step is always to use a tiny jewelers screwdriver to remove the felt pieces. then fill a coffee cup with windex and soak the knobs for a while.
(how long depends on how "nicotiney" the knobs are LOL)

i take them out, scrub them with the toothbrush till nice and shiny, and dunk them in a glass of water.

then they get a spray with canned air and are put on a paper towel to dry fully.
the felt gets replaced and they go back on the radio.

my process may be more detailed than others, but people do love shiny knobs!
LC

I've cleaned knobs on CBs by pulling them off and letting them soak in denatured alcohol. Works great in removing dirt and nicotine tar.

I've cleaned knobs on CBs by pulling them off and letting them soak in denatured alcohol. Works great in removing dirt and nicotine tar.

I should have included this in my first repy.
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH ALCOHOL.
I had some sticky residue on the front panel of my fairly new Galaxy DX94HP. I used rubbing alcohol trying to clean it.
It left the mat black finish with white blotches all over it. I was devastated.
The only way to fix it was using multiple applications of Meguire's Cleaner Wax.
It looks real good now, only difference is now it has a semi-gloss look to it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.