• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CMH Electronics / YouTube?

curlyjo

Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Southern Calidornia
Anybody in the know about transistor upgrades on a RCI 29XX. What they are? What they do? Is the HI FI mod some kind of snake oil? Not slamming the guy! Just curious.

The 2950 or 2970 are both nice radios if unmolested and set up properly. If you want to run more power than the 2970 get a 2950 and a nice box or clean in and clean out. why butcher a good radio. this is my opinion. Spending lots of cash on a final upgrade for these radios. I just can't see it.

If you mean are the voltage regulator and AM regulator transistor upgrades real? Sure; is that surprising? This is not news. The hifi upgrade is just changing out a few caps to different values. It can be done to both the transmit and the receive. Those are some mods I might do to certain radios. Done them and they work well. Just an improvement if you like that kind of thing, and I do.

The 2950 and 2970 are very good radios I am going to be in the market for the 2950 this fall.
Since Magnum discontinued their S series and my favorite of all the 257 and 257 HP.
I have a old 257 that I bought back in 2003 the only rest its had in those years is being stored for 7 months while I bought this house and moved its a 10 meter only now and I have a blast with it here in the house and in my truck

You can still get the 257hp at one or two places, I ordered one from GI Joes radio a few months ago. They may still have some, not sure. I have 3 of them, 2 working and one not, but the one not working got beat up pretty bad so I don't blame the radio. I love my other 2 magnum 257hp's but I will say the optima mk3 has taken over in my mobile. Great radio as well!

I hear you I called them today and they were out it really grinds my gears that they discontinued it.
What I want is a no nonsense radio I have zero use for echos roger beeps those bells and whistles just dont interest me.
Thats why I am going to sell my Galaxy DX77HML even tho its a real good unit it has stuff I will never use dont ever know what ever possessed me to buy it in the first place.
I belive I will go with a RCI 2950 DX as soon as the new versions arrive the 257 will be put in my pickup and I have a friend that has 2 of the 257s one the last of the dual 2sc1969 the other a 257 HP he has both of them in his big truck and hes only going to drive for 18 more months then retire I know for a fact that the HP has only been used for a very short time in the truck after he got it so after he retires I am going to buy them both

Try the optima mk3, it's as close to the 257 as you will get and is a great radio, using one in the mobile now and it works great.

If you mean are the voltage regulator and AM regulator transistor upgrades real? Sure; is that surprising? This is not news. The hifi upgrade is just changing out a few caps to different values. It can be done to both the transmit and the receive. Those are some mods I might do to certain radios. Done them and they work well. Just an improvement if you like that kind of thing, and I do.

Thanks Robb. Just curious about these mods. Bought a first generation unmodified 2950 from a fourm member three years ago. All I did was move the jumper over to expand the frequency coverage. Every now and then the orange display lights go out. Then mysteriously comes back on. Was thinking about sending it out for blue and white led lights. Curious about any worthwhile upgrades. Know I will not make any money off it if I was to sell it. Get the best compliments with a modified Superstar pistol grip mic and the Texas Star 250 HD. I regularly talk on a 2970 DX 150. It was set up by the late Bill Goode. RIP. Get unsolicited compliments with that radio all the time. In an earlier post my only compliant with the 2970 was that some operators say it's TXing a little high. So I back down a click and everyone's happy. Thanks again for your input. 73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.