• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

co phase question

sleepwalker

Apr 3, 2005
Bottom side of Virginia
if I put 2 equal lengths of rg59 together will it be 50 ohms or do I need to add 3 feet of rg58 to the 2 lengths of rg59 to get 50 ohms..i have heard both ways and I dont know of a way to check the ohms thanks

sleepwalker,
If you happen to pick the 'right' length of RG-59 (or RG-11) the parallel impedance will be half of 75 ohms, or around 38-40 ohms give or take a bit (ought to be something close to 1/4 electrical wave length). While that's not going to be 50 ohms it should be close enough not to matter a bunch. Adding 3 feet (or any length of 50 ohm cable) isn't going to make any difference in the impedance at the two 75 ohm cables junction. Depending on what you heard, one version may have been correct.
- 'Doc

sleepwalker,
Well, I guess it justr depends on how well you understand just exactly what an antenna analyzer is and does. Are they always perfect, the 'end all' of tuning an antenna? Of course not, but they certainly do make it easier!
Tune for the lowest (or best) SWR. That's certainly good advice. I don't see anything wrong with that, no matter how you do it. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?
The 'best' advice for you, or anyone, is to learn all you can about impedances, antenna matching, etc. You do that by reading, not necessarily listening to someone talk about it (although that's not always a bad idea). How hard is it? Just depends on you. It's not easy, but it's also certainly not impossible.
Have fun...
- 'Doc

You can't check it with a volt/ohm meter....that meter will test resistance, not impedance. You can use a noise bridge or an antenna analyzer, though....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned