• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax cable ?

Chipmunk

Sep 30, 2022
What type of coax cable u guys use to bury underground ?.....

Need something that water wont damage it, and where would u buy it?...

Lots of brands out there rated for direct burial. Myself, I've been using DXEngineering coax for about 5 years now with zero issues. Don't know (or care) who makes it for them, but it's quality stuff, IMO.

7 3

Yup. Been th
Really, fill with water, underground?
Been there,done that. I buried several lengths of cable inside 3 inch pvc pipe and it eventually filled with water from condensation. I drilled a small weeping hole in the low end and never had the problem again. I have had a few commercial installations too that had buried cables in a conduit that were capped off and they filled with water as well. It comes from condensation as the warm humid air gets cooled underground. 100% guaranteed to fill with water eventually if both ends are sealed off and no weep hole is drilled.

Excerpt
:
There is a way to avoid all the water problems and guarantee your installation will last even if the water does get into the conduit. Whenever you are laying conduit underground always use gel-filled direct burial type cables and wires with every installation. Any “Wet Rated” cable or wire can be used to eliminate the problem completely. Then when the water does get in, it won’t matter at all. Use the conduit for running cable but do not rely on it to keep your cables and wires dry. Unlike direct burial the conduit will allow you to pull in other cables later and the water proof cables will insure that your installation will last a lifetime.
from

Jeff

Excerpt
:
There is a way to avoid all the water problems and guarantee your installation will last even if the water does get into the conduit. Whenever you are laying conduit underground always use gel-filled direct burial type cables and wires with every installation. Any “Wet Rated” cable or wire can be used to eliminate the problem completely. Then when the water does get in, it won’t matter at all. Use the conduit for running cable but do not rely on it to keep your cables and wires dry. Unlike direct burial the conduit will allow you to pull in other cables later and the water proof cables will insure that your installation will last a lifetime.
from

Jeff

Good idea but that gel-filled cable comes with a premium price.......usually. Most direct burial type cables simply have a non-contaminating outer jacket without the gel.

Agree Capitan, just info that it will fill with water.
We ran thousands of feet of cable and wire at the processing plant through underground conduit for both power and control circuits.
Water would always find it's way in, especially in that environment with process equipment that had to be sanitized daily.
Direct bury coax is the way to go.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.