• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

coax or ladder line

well myself i am getting to prefer ladderline. i can put up 1 wire cut for the lowest frequency i want to operate <75> and the use a tuner to catch every band above that with gain. it might have a little bit strange pattern but it seems to work. if you feed the same wire with coax, well a wire cut for 75m that ya put on 40m the coax itself will have 11db of attenuation in a hundred foot run.

CDX1220,
When possible I like to use ladder-line. If for some reason I can't use it (ran out, in the car, whatever) I'll certainly use coax.
Both have characteristics that have to be 'compensated' for, sort of. Since coax is very common most people don't realize that it has those kind of 'qwerks', and they aren't 'bad' any way so big deal. Ladder-line type stuff, being not so common, has 'qwerks' that take some getting used to, still not 'bad', not really a big deal, just different. It's certainly possible to be able to tell the difference, but most of the time, not really. Oh well...
- 'Doc

I prefer homemade ladder line with 4 inch ceramic Johnson spreaders. I use about 100 feet of it to feed my 75 meter full wave loop. With this combination, I can tune anything from about 3.5 Mc to 54 Mc using a Johnson Kilowatt balanced-line tuner.

According to an old ARRL article on the subject, the old Johnson tuners have less than 10 percent power loss across all of the above frequencies when used with my sort of antenna. You can't beat that...

Coax is good for single-band stuff like CB beams, etc. However, I'd only use Andrews Heliax or at the very least Belden 9913 for that purpose. Under these types of applications (low SWR/ frequency range), ladder line wouldn't have much of an advantage.

Just my two-cents!

thats good info . i read something about that johnson tuner also
but tuners are another subjects , but we can go there too. :LOL:
i like the heath 2040 and 2060, and the palstar at1500, but they are kinda of pricey feel free to add input, all are welcome.

coax or ladderline
hard pressed to say what is better
so long as we are talking heliax hardline verses ladderline
both extreme low loss
both have pros and cons

I use coax on my multi-band dipole mounted on the roof. It works fine. By multi-band, I mean that i have a wire cut for each 10, 20, 40, with a loading coil on each 40 segment for 80 meters. It's a commercially available antenna (Alpha Delta DX-CC), but there's no reason why you can't build the same thing on your own if you don't require the shortened 80 meter segment. There is some loss over using ladder line, but it's not as bad as -11db on each band. I use a tuner with it to get the in-between (WARC) bands.

What I am using is a true "multi-band" dipole (in my own mind, anyway) because it is actually multiple doublets cut for resonance on multiple bands. A lot of people think of a "multi-band" dipole as one doublet cut for the lowest frequency they want to use and then coupled to a tuner to tune the others. If you're going to do it that way, I would use ladder line, because you will have to deal with some loss with coax.

Remember, there isn't really a right way or wrong way to do this...there's just the way that you decide works for you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.