• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax Plug Problem

general

Jan 12, 2014
I Purchased a new Sirio Hi-Power 4000 and hard mounted it. installed my General Lee, attached coax to radio & no reception. unscrewed coax from the radio and just as i was removing the plug this radio was picking skip from Everywhere!. problem is as soon as i touch the threaded part of the plug to the radio it cuts out, with just the center core in the radio it tx & recieves fine...seems as though it may be in the plug? I've grounded everything & still have an issue... Any suggestions?

Reactions: 1 person

When you hard mounted the antenna is there a burr touching it some place an grounding it out ? This happen to me years ago while mounting a 102" whip .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

No i dont have a meter to check..I slid the boot back and can see where the solder from the center core seems to have bled out onto the side a little..Think maybe it is defective? This was sent directly from Sirio, Brand new outfit...Thanks for the help.

Check it with a battery an flash light bulb an short PC of wire if it has a direct short you will know .

hi 357 mag!, When i hardmounted this there's plastic grommets on the topside for the outer roof, Inside on the ceiling it is directly to the sheetmetal...should there also be a plastic grommet inside. No part of the antenna touches te metal mounting surface? Thanks for your help, The General.

Not sure about your antenna I have never installed a sirio but from what your posting some thing is shorting out .

Thats exactly what i was wondering...This is my first hardmount, I'm thinking the antenna needs to be isolated, with plastic on either side to keep it from grounding, I was assuming it Should be grounded at least on One side.....hmmmm, I may have to pull down the headliner and reinstall..

You will NEED a multimeter of some sort. Doesn't have to be expensive or complicated -- not your first one, anyway. With the description of the symptoms, your feedline OR the antenna mount has a short circuit. With the meter, you could quickly determine which it is.

Right now i'm wondering if this antenna needs to have the plastic washers on both sides of the roof...Any thoughts on mobile antenna grounding?

If you received everything you were suppose to in the kit try reversing the washer its your only shot if you don't have a meter , I still think its grounding out . Just DON"T key the Mic if you have the same problem or you will have more things to worry about ! lol

Search the forums, type in PL5000 there are a few posts about mounting the sirio hard mount. Sorry about the invalid link.

222DBFl , Yup first link I looked at stated there were Two O rings , I think that's his problem with the " Grounding Out " . I think he stated he had one on Top .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.