• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

coax under ground..

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
have normal 213 coax.it goes across the yard about40 feet.laid boards over it so lawn tractor wouldnt smash it.been this way bout 3 years and lifted the board and noticed the coax now has sunk bout 2 inches into the ground.i read somwhere once they make specail coax that u can bury.was wondering if the way my regular coax is 2 inches under ground is ok....

If you haven't noticed anything 'bad' happening with the antenna that coax goes to, then I'd have to say there isn't a problem... yet. May not be, but wait and see. I think I'd wait till there is a problem before doing anything about it.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 2 people
As long as you don't trip over it, or catch it in the lawn mower, or the dog doesn't chew it up, or a marauding elephant doesn't eat it, it ought'a do just fine. Maybe.
- 'Doc

IIRC , i read a comment somewhere that burying coax can help eliminate CMCs .
is that correct ?

"IIRC , i read a comment somewhere that burying coax can help eliminate CMCs .
is that correct ?"
A very rough guess is that it will maybe 50% of the time. Dirt is something like a choke, it can 'drain' currents off of the outside of a feed line. Will it do that every time? I wouldn't bet much on it, but the chances are very good that it will. So how much has to be buried for it to work? Beats me, something between a 1/4 wave length and a 1/4 mile. There's no 'set' answer to that. Try it and see.
- 'Doc

I have a ground mounted HF vertical that is about 60 feet from the house. I buried my coax in some flexible PVC type conduit sold at a farm supply store. Figured that would help protect the coax and won't be real difficult to run a future replacement line of coax through.

Burying it was easier then I though and only took a few hours. Using a shovel I went along and flipped over wedge shaped sections of soil. Then laid the conduit in and flipped the sections back over. I walked along the top and compressed the ground in place. It was spring time and I poured bags of dirt along any gaps and then threw some seed down. A month or two later and it was invisible.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.