• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 138 (not xlr)

nightwatch

Jan 13, 2007
Somewhere Deep Below the Earth
Hi Everybody;

Hey, I bought a cobra 138 (not xlr) from ebay. When it arrived, I found that the mic was broken. This normally wouldn't have been a problem,...I would have just replaced the mic with one of my spares,..But..The mic for the 138 is the phone jack type.
It kinda looks like a very large RCA jack. I've checked out the net, and done a search on this forum with no luck for info on this type of mic. I really need to replace it since salvaging the old one won't work (totally trashed). Anybody got any ideas where I might buy a replacement???? Any help would be appreciated since without the mic, I'm pretty much dead in the water.
Thanks

does it look like this?
phoneplug.gif

If so, heres the wiring.
You can wire most mics to it...as I see the relay is in the radio.
some mics you need the ground and shield together.
Hope this helps ;)

Thanks again lords.
I've been checking ebay every couple of days, but haven't been lucky as of yet. As far as wiring a regular mic to it,..I'm not sure how this is done. I've never looked at the inside of this type plug. Do you solder the wire ends to it?? I'm a complete dummy when it comes to stuff like this. :)
If I knew what the plug's actually called, I could google it, and get some info there. Do you know what the technical name is??
Thanks

Its called a 1/4 Stereo Phone Jack (male connector).
when you open the jack ,if you can.
i think the stock one you can't. it should have 3 wires on it, you can unsolder..
let me know the colors of them to just to make sure
going off that diagram i posted what colors go where!
when you get the mic your going to use let me know what kind of mic and I will post a pic of how to hook it up.

Lords, I'm going to have to buy the jack first, then use one of my spare 4 pin cobra mics. This may turn into a nice learning experience. Taking a negative (broken mic), and turning it into a positive (learning experience). So now I'm looking at the broken mic,...as a good thing. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.