• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142GTL Paired with 148

you can get that same 192 channel range by using the half Vcc state of pin 10 so you dont have to use a second crystal.
it kind of puts pin 10 in limbo.
that is with the 11.1125 crystal.

if you do the same thing with the 11.3258 crystal you can get 26.815 to 28.755.
this is the range of my madison in the photos section.

i never had to use a second VCO coil to get it to cover this range, i just clip R95. (this would be the component # for the 148/2000 dual conversion chassis)

its the RX and TX mixers that i always have to broadband.
LC

you can get that same 192 channel range by using the half Vcc state of pin 10 so you dont have to use a second crystal.

i never had to use a second VCO coil to get it to cover this range, i just clip R95. (this would be the component # for the 148/2000 dual conversion chassis)

LC

yes I will eventually get a freq counter, But there still should be a mobile radio that I can get that will line up.. So If I have to buy a few till I find one that works then that'll be more cost effective then buying a feq counter and prolly use it once.. I got a cobra 25 for the car now as cb is not used like 5 years ago when I was into it, but eventually I am going to want to take advantage of the freeband that my 142 has in it :)

if your radio has the stock crystal get a 140gtl, or president grant (later, earlier were 858)

if you swaped crystals than one of the many 8719's i listed. easiest to find is the 148 series or uniden grant lt/xl.

LC

LC, could you explain how I can get into this "half Vcc" state that you're referring to? I'd love to expand my 142GTL to get a bit closer to the 192 channel range. I'm always absorbing some good info. Thanks!

-Exit

Wouldn't an S+ expo be almost useless in a 25 beyond contacts with a few?

Most activity above 27.405 tends to be SSB, below 26.965 is AM.

exit
pin 17 is used to feed pin 10 because it's at 1/2 vdd. uses 3-3position toggles rathern than the normal 2.

around here 27.505 is on of the channels you go to to get away from others. from my experence very few people ever venture below channel 1. only time i ever find anyone down there is during solar maximum's.

as much as i hate exports its almost better to buy a cheap one. you can get a deerhunter or superstar 121 for under $120 and that will do your am channels with 3 bands of 40. for under $200 you could get a magnum 257 or voyage vr9000 and do it with sideband.

used 2950's (orange face) can be had at swap's or qrz for $50-75 all day long. the last swap i went to up here in may i counted 7 working 2950's for $75 or less. they are not a popular radio with many ham ops'. the amount of white noise they create can really limit the amound of low s unit contacts you can make at times. this is the main reason why i stoped using one. when side by side to even a cheap older hf rig there is no comparison. you would expect that when comparing a $350 kenwood 440 to a $50 2950. a fairer comparison would be against a 2970 as they both use the same output finals.

Thanks Carl! I did go into my 142GTL and expand my coverage a bit... I really don't NEED them, but I do like to scan the bands once in a while. My VCO doesn't tune all the channels, so I think my coverage right now is about 26.655 to 28.085. It'll do.

I appreciate that extra tidbit of info!

-Exit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.