• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 148 am/usb/lsb

Is it the older 148 with the 5 pin mic jack on the side of the radio, or the newer one with the 4 pin jack in the front?

If it's the older one with the 5 pin side mic, snag it! Definitely worth 50 bucks. If it's the 4 pin front mic, don't touch it. Not worth 50 bucks.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
My front four pin mic 148 with sound tracker works great. I've never had a problem with it. I guess I'm stupid. I paid $75 for it.

Thank you all for the input. I am picking.it up at 0600... I have been. looking for a good ssb radio. I have been trying to learn n study what I can so that I can get my tech ticket. I have been trying to learn what n how's the different components act & react with eachother (cause & affect). The more that I am reading on this site n others is making me more interested in the radio hobby overall. I have also seen some really neat build ideas on antennas.. thank you all again. 73's everyone from me n mine to you n yours

Reactions: 1 person
No doubt about that m42. I bought it with a special purpose in mind.i think it will serve that purpose well. A friend needed money to buy an anytone 5555 so I helped him out. Now he had to send the anytone back for repair. So I loaned him the 148 to use as his base till the anytone gets back. The 148 actually sounds pretty nice. When I get it back I am gonna experiment with direct injection and use a studio mic and software. I'll set it up as a base next to my HR2510.

Can you tell us the problem with the Anytone? Was it a warranty repair? Just wondering, because I haven't heard anyone being designated a warranty repair facility in the states yet.

Unless he shipped it back to the factory.

The problem was that after 2 days or 3 of working pretty well. One day he turned it on and there was no lights on the LCD and not tx/rx. He actually shipped it back wherever he bought it. In china or wherever they come from. It's been gone at least 3 weeks and he told me today he received and email from them. Apparently they are getting in some v6's in a week or two and gonna send him one of them for a replacement. Supposedly they solved several issues on v6. Relocated the mic plug because it was getting hot or something and fixed the low modulation on am are two that he mentioned to me.

Well that's good he's getting v.6. I have been waiting for it myself to see what they've fixed. They put the voltage regulator by the mic plug. It did get hot there. Some people mod it by moving the regulator to the rear heatsink area.

AM did suck. CW sidetone had a buffering delay and in some rigs the talkback wouldn't completely turn off.

Mostly minor bugs, but bothersome for some. I'll be watching.

I've actually got my Road Devil on my CRE and getting good reports. Friends I talk to daily say its finally a winning combo on both ssb and am. Per cb radio magazine I added a 1k ohm resistor inside the mic between the audio wire and ground wire. I have the menu mic gain set at 31 and the volume on the mic just under 1/4 up. I have no funky sounding talk back on ssb when the talkback is off. I'm running the radio talkback at 3 and it sounds normal on ssb and am with no squeal. For now I'm the happiest I've been with this radio. I was actually thinking of selling it to buy a magnum 257hp or something with a little more umph on am as i talk there alot. I'm glad I hopefully got it straight because I really like the features of this radio and love the way it looks. It fits perfectly in my jeep as well.

Yeah great snag Doc. The older ones are fine, solid radios. The newer ones out now are pure Chinese noodles and we've been hearing nothing but problems about them.

THE go-to strait 40 ch. CB Sideband radio today is the Galaxy DX 959

Good luck

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.