• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 GTL and Uniden Grant.

i have both and to me the ssb on the grant xl is a little better but the 148 seems to scream on am with a jmr pistol grip mic. 148 ssb is still good i just like the grant xl a little better seems a little cleaner.

the older phill models are one of the best true cb designs. clean units still fetch over $200 unless the seller seller needs cash and they sell for less.

i prerfer the looks of a 148 over a grant xl, but all grant xl's were good ones (not all 148's were good)

dway87 said:
Is the Cobra 148 GTL a good radio or is the Uniden Grant the better one?

If I were to rate them it would be:

President Grant, followed by Uniden Grant and Cobra (made in the same time period, with later model Cobra's coming in last. They used the same footprint but got cheap and picked the lowest bidder to make the board.

Carl said:
the older phill models are one of the best true cb designs. clean units still fetch over $200 unless the seller seller needs cash and they sell for less.

i prerfer the looks of a 148 over a grant xl, but all grant xl's were good ones (not all 148's were good)

The Malaysian 148's are the most sought after...the Phillipine ones are second best. The one made in Taiwan suck.

dway87 said:
I am assuming that ANY radio made in china is absolutely poor quality. correct?

Chinese made electronics is still not up to par with quaility control. Of course some of this can be put on the "Brand" that eventually sells it. Just as an example, Cobra might put out for bids for their next board and go with the lowest bidder, who may use parts that aren't quite as good quality as a higher bidder. This has to have some bearing on it because many HAM radio handhelds are made in China and for the most part work very well. Of course, this is just my opinion.
Woody

dway87 said:

Incorrect. Many good electronics, including CB's, come out of China. Don't read much into all the hype you hear. Yes, there are times when a run of a particular brand might be sub-standard when compared to the quality of other runs of teh exact same make/model, but as anyone who owns a business knows, if you don;t maintain the quality, and correct any issues that do arise, you don't stay in business. Take the Cobra 29 LTD Classic for example. Its been made in China since the early-mid 1990's, and with the exception of a few production runs here and there, in my opinion its just as good as it ever was.

dway87 said:
i think the only real differnce between the chines made and phillipines made radios was the phillipines models seem to have a thicker board makeing them more durible in mobile aps. i have had both and still have both of the radios in question made from both countries and they both talk the same and mod out the same, but i have no reliability out of either model

I've had many a Chinese / Tiwanese (R.O.C.) / Phillipines / radios that did what they were supposed to do . I guess not being a perfectionist in my cb hobby makes life somewhat simplier for a cb bozo like myself. They do mod the same , tune the same and pretty much perform the same and if they don't ? Most can be fixed to perform better. I often hear guys on 510's and Cobra 19s that sound as good as anybody else out there on there 2 and 3 hundred dollar radios (-: Are some better then others ? I would personally think so , but wherever they come from ? they all seem to work one way or the other.I can basically catch the same fish you catch on your 300.00 dollar reel and 200.00 dollar fishing pole on my 40.00 dollar pole and 40.00 dollar reel. And I would bet to say all my stuff was made in China (-: it only needs to work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.