• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 NW ST Repair?

Hi,

I recently got in trade a Cobra 148 NW ST that the Nightwatch panel does not light up. The only thing I see is a ribbon cable that goes into the bezel from behind. I do not see a bulb of any kind. I heard it is a common problem for the Nightwatch panel to stop working. I did a voltage test on the harness plug that the ribbon cable plugs into and it is approximately .53v, Is this normal? I also used a variable power supply contacted directly to the ribbon cable to test the illumination panel at low voltage and it still did not light up. Does anyone know how to repair it and where I can obtain the parts to do so? I am also looking for mods(Clarifier, Channels ect.) for this radio. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I dont have exact sp3ecs to post, but the panel is an elctro-luminescent display, using voltage in the 100V or so range. The radio uses a small inverter to generate that voltage, and that unit is what I believe is the common failure.

I have a very effective mod for those soundcrapper radio's, works great on Rat Shack radio's as well. Remove the radio from your vehicle, place the radio on the ground in front of one of your tires, then qickly get back in your vehicle and pull ahead 20 feet.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The hell you say Butchy !! They can just send them to me . I'll gladly take there problems off there hands. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.