• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148gtl S-meter Alignment

Scribble

Nov 12, 2014
Hello all, I am doing my first ever Cb alignment on a Cobra 148gtl. Everything worked fine with the exception of the SSB s-meter alignment (Step 7 of 3.0 Receiver Alignment in the manual). The step says input a 27.186MHz signal, no modulation at 100 uv while on ch. 19 USB. The meter never swings past 3 when adjusting VR2. Am I doing something wrong or is there an error in the manual. Thanks in advance for the help.

Either the generator isn't putting out 100uV, or the radio isn't on freq. If the S-meter is working on AM correctly; then it should also work on SSB the same. Might be a problem in the quad op amp circuit or the adjustment VR; but that remains to be seen . . .

Sure did, everything is well within specs.
First I'll blame it on test equipment.
Either the generator isn't putting out 100uV, or the radio isn't on freq. If the S-meter is working on AM correctly; then it should also work on SSB the same. Might be a problem in the quad op amp circuit or the adjustment VR; but that remains to be seen . . .
The problem appears to have been a short between the headsets or a cold frequency counter. I went through the alignment again and this time the frequency counter showed a 500+ hertz error on USB. Either I tweaked something in error (most likely) or the counter was way off from being used cold and not letting it warm up. I let everything cook for a while and it all worked the second go around. Robb, thanks for the assist. I appreciate the help!

Reactions: Robb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.