• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 148gtl whats it worth?

whoever is telling you the ss3900 is pants is talking pants,there is very little difference between the 3900 and the cobra 148 gtl dx/superstar 360fm it was modelled on.some people let nostalgia override reality.as for the 148 being worth a £150 thats just cobraworxshopz losing touch with reality,100-120 in mint boxed condition is much closer to reality.

As for your s9 being better than a cobra 148 gtl dx,in what respect is it better?
i can't see many people copying a magnum s9 in 20 years time let alone the 30 years now that almost every radio manufacturer since has copied the uniden pb010 boarded cobra 148 gtl dx/superstar 360 fm.

Carl I assume when you say the superstar is ranger made your referring to later 3900 types and not the 360fm which is uniden boarded.nice condition 360fm by the way.

Hello jazzsinger. I know a few people that have bought the superstar 3900 eft from rocket radio i think it's the one with built in Frequency Counter that was the one i'm referring too, and they took them back for reasons i'm not sure about, but they just said its pants.
I said my Cobra 148 gtl dx is not as good as my S9 not better. It just does more, and I like it more. Maybe the Cobra needs a good tune up, thats why i don't use it. The audio is not as clear as the S9, so i'm told when i fire it up, it is quite old now, and never been re-tuned. Also my S9 has better receive. My Lincoln chipswitch blows them both away, rx and tx and for me much easier to use. My opinion.. I did spend lots of £s on it though.

older ones were made by rci, they used the uniden mainboard. texas ranger 696fd1's use a uniden pcb i believe.

I'm not doubting you Carl,just curious as to why ranger radios have uniden boards and curious to the fact that what apear to be uniden radios may well have been made by ranger rci.

I've heard talk of supposed uniden radios being made by ranger rci but finding out the full story and full extent of the two companies involvement with each other is something of a minefield,i tried e mailing uniden usa and uniden australia but got nothing,something I'm very interested to know more about.

was ranger subcontracting to uniden or vice versa,was uniden selling ranger uniden boards? is uniden part of ranger rci? rci suggest there is many companies incorporated under the ranger badging,was ranger breaching uniden copyright or vice versa? as I can find no trace of any court action to suggest that was the case although i do know of court action involving both ranger and uniden/president europe on other matters.

Does anyone know the history involving these companies and in particular the export radios? there is many rumours but someone must know the truth.

I have a couple of radios in particular i would like to know the origin of,they are uniden boarded but are very rare in the uk and no doubt almost non existant in the usa.i'm particularly interested in the pb010 chassis and at what point it evolved into the ept 3600 chassis and why it evolved.

i have also seen 3900 radios that have chassis that are almost identical to ranger ept 3600 chassis but use different parts and have different chassis numbers,where do these originate from?

Hello jazzsinger. I know a few people that have bought the superstar 3900 eft from rocket radio i think it's the one with built in Frequency Counter that was the one i'm referring too, and they took them back for reasons i'm not sure about, but they just said its pants.
I said my Cobra 148 gtl dx is not as good as my S9 not better. It just does more, and I like it more. Maybe the Cobra needs a good tune up, thats why i don't use it. The audio is not as clear as the S9, so i'm told when i fire it up, it is quite old now, and never been re-tuned. Also my S9 has better receive. My Lincoln chipswitch blows them both away, rx and tx and for me much easier to use. My opinion.. I did spend lots of £s on it though.

From what I've heard from people with quality test gear the superstar 3900eft is far from being pants,apparently it has one of the most sensitive receivers ever seen in a cb,even on fm.Buying a radio direct from a shop that hasn't tuned/aligned it to maximum specs makes any comparison made to a radio that has been aligned/tuned properly pointless,most radios out of the box are nowhere near operating to full potential.

I still fail to see how your 148 gtl dx is not as good as an s9 unless it is in dire need of alignment as the 148 gtl dx mk2 especially is one of he best allround ssb radios ever made for cb bands.When you say your s9 has better receive do you mean the s meter reading is higher or the receiver on it is hearing weak signals the cobra can't hear?

I'm very surprised you think the lincoln is better too as in my experience thats far from the case although it does offer gimmicks like frequency readout and 4 mhz coverage the others don't.I suppose it depends on what you rate as better,I rate selectivity as one of the main priorities in a receiver with sensitivity second.Don't get me wrong the lincoln is a decent radio but it has many pitfalls.

Hi, I have a new old stock cobra 148gtl. Never been out of the box. Made in Malaysia. What do you think this is worth?

If it is indeed NOS and has not been monkeyed with $150 - $200. I have 3 of them in the box and that is what I paid.
The front mic (post 1997) 148s are junk and I wouldn't even let my dogs piss on them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.