• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 150GTL DX

ethomas

MudDuck
Nov 30, 2008
North MS
I have got to peak a Cobra 150GTL DX I looked on cb tricks. Has anyone do one? Is this the only way? Do i need a oscillascope???

Last edited:

I've never heard of needing an O Scope just to turn a pot or two and change the power. Seems like just a watt meter will do. Only guessing.

All the info you need is available on CBtricks. There is a swing mod that works on that radio as well. A scope isn't a must have for a basic tune,but it is certainly helpful. If it were me, and that 150DX actually works, I would leave it alone.

The 150 seemed to fare better then the Cobra 200. It is a surface mount radio though so unless you are exellent at soldering I would not even mess with it. Things are very tiny inside.

If you have converted the radio and you have meters to see how the modulation and power is on low and high settings and they are within parameters then leave this one alone. Believe me when I messed with mine it just got worse until a friend of mine had purchased it and it worked extrememly well after its conversion; I put it on my meters and used those numbers to dial in mine and presto it is still doing great. I sold it to a fellow driver I see at least 2 times a month and that radio sounds great. If you start doing the swing mods and turning up way above the proper settings it will sound like crap or it will crap out in a very shot time. That is the problem most of these guys are running into is turning up way to high and they fail. Send me a private message if you need the settings for low and high power for power and modulation. Good luck and this can be a very good radio if it works properly from the factory and you dont turn it up beyond its limits.

I concur with what the others say--don't overdo the audio on this one. It isn't necessary.

Just try to set it for 95-100 percent modulation and call it a day.

Set the low power deadkey to 2 watts and the high for 12-15. You should be able to get it to modulate to about 7-8 watts on low and around 40-45 on high with clear audio.

If you overdo it you usually end up with this "popping" sound and your audio will sound crunchy.

just a suggestion . you may want to consider sending to DTB . hes one of only a very few techs i herd of that didnt have most of them having problems later .

HIGHLANDER_821 is pretty close to being dead on, but those number on the high side are a little high. Even with wattage for numbers they will not do you any good unless you use the modulation numbers and set it within a few % points of those modulation numbers, otherwise it will sound like crap. The dk on low if I remember was 2 1/2 watts swings to around 16-18w, and high side it would dk around 17w and swing to around 33-37w. Wattage above this is way too high. If you need the modulation numbers let me know and I will look them up, PM me so I will know what your looking for.

Cityboy is right. My numbers are nominal for my radio and wattmeter. Your mileage may vary. The salient point is that you cannot go over a certain point without the audio starting to pop and sound broken up. An on-the-air check with someone who knows what good modulation should sound like is a plus.

Also, I agree with the poster that DTB seems to be the dealer that figured out these radios and can make them work really well. If I ever have trouble with mine, that's where it will go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.