• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 200 base model

RugRat235

May 1, 2005
i emailed cobra to see if they would let loose any info about the posibility of a base model and this was their reply. anyone who thinks its a good idea should send an email to the link below maybe we can talk them into it.

Hello,,

Thank you for you e-mail. Currently we do not have any information on
this going to take place as yet. But if you heard something about
it.... Well, it just may happan. :) So keep in touch with us.

Thank you,
rabele@cobra.com

I did that once with the circuit board from an old 148 that someone had run over and junked. I got bored, tracked down about 30+ problems in the old girl, then took the board and some controls out of the original 148 chassis, and planted them into an old Royce 23-channel 3-meter base chassis. I now have a great 40+ channel SSB rig with full-time S/RF, CAL, and SWR readouts with no meter switching needed.

I may just get bored one weekend and take a 200 and make a base out of it....

shoulda hung on to it i bet it would get a good price on ebay. i saw one of those dak mark somethingarathers that someone had put a uniden somethingarather board in go for a for big bucks.

Oh, I've still got it. I dont sell things like that (unless someone offers me a new Porche or something for it). Its at my folks place for the moment.

This reminds me of another base station story. About 10 years ago, give or take, I was working for another shop. A customer came in on evening, and said he had a Cobra 142 that didn't work. He set a shopping bag on the counter, and said the radio was in there. He then set another 3 or 4 shopping bags on the counter, and said the radio was in those, too. Turns out his wife took a 5-pound sledge hammer to his 142 because he was on it more than he was on her, and turned it into the mother of all jigsaw puzzles. Needless to say, we told him it probably wouldn't be worth the many many man-hours needed to rebuild his radio out of the various bits and pieces in the bags. He elected to just leave the bags there, and bought himself another radio.

Well, one evening several months later, I got bored and decided to rebuild the thing. It didn't take the hundred hours I thought it would. It DID take a ton of solder and little solid-wire (component lead clippings) jumpers to finally get the circuit board back together, and a bit of time with a hammer and anvil to get the chassis frame straightened out enough to fit the board back in it, but it managed to go back together. Luckily, We had an old 139 case cover lying about, and I was able to make it sort of fit the 142 frame. After getting that all together, and replacing a few physically damaged parts on the board, I fired it up, and I'll be darned if it didn't work like it was new. I didn't even have to align it, it was already on frequency.

I still have that old rig sitting in my shop....

LMAO!! NOW THATS LITERALLY BRINGING A RADIO BACK FROM THE DEAD OR IS IT MORE LIKE GRAVE ROBBING?? Either way its still funny. (y)

cobra can not build radios anymore , nothing new anyhow . LOL wasnt the 150 and 200 and their multiple versions of each til they gave up on them evidence enough of that ?

I agree, the Cobra 200 Export was the worst POS ever. It was a complete disaster of a product from a business standpoint. They had something like an 80+% failure rate. Then again......yea......jeeeez, great idea. Can you email them and see if they can have Maxon build one woth Soundcrapper, nightwatch, and bluetooth? LOLOLOLOL

What drugs would influence a Cobra 200 base idea. Seriously, I mean I have been thinking about a Hindenburg family minivan, and need something to help me test it out on a few soccer moms. Good idea, take one of the worst radio abortions in history and make it worse. Radio is garbage.

I agree, the Cobra 200 Export was the worst POS ever. It was a complete disaster of a product from a business standpoint. They had something like an 80+% failure rate. Then again......yea......jeeeez, great idea. Can you email them and see if they can have Maxon build one woth Soundcrapper, nightwatch, and bluetooth? LOLOLOLOL
i agree ive heard a couple of them even stock they sound just awful.
my locsal here has 1 and a galaxy 959 .and the 959 sounded better than the cobra
plus the cobra was experiencing terrible drifting on ssb.biggest p.o.s. cobra ever came out with.and i thought the cobra 2010 was bad.they went from bad to worse.if i were to buy a base from them they would have to improve alot.and thier base would have to be on the lines of a galy 2547.not a export with a built in amp. thats were they went wrong imho

I have 2 cobra 200 radios, both work great. The better one has the real finals in it 2280? not sure of the # right now. I put a turner +3 mic on it. I know they are not a very reliable radio, but I like them none the less. If cobra decides to make anything else I hope they learned from their screwups......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.