• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 GTL and Texas Star 500V

Snake_Eyes

Oct 16, 2005
Hi, does anyone have this setup? Or, can you advise me on the following?

Using the Texas Star 500V, How many watt dead key and swing would I want to have the Cobra 2000 GTL set at?

Thanks!

have a deadkey around 1 to 1 1/2 watt and let it swing
gives you around 75 to 125 watt deadkey swing to around 400 to 425 true watts

just push the red button in only

Hey 555 etc.,

I'm a newbie with this kind of stuff... Could you please break it down for me?

AM watts (dead key and swing)
SSB watts (dead key and swing -- may be known as PEP alone -- not sure!)

And, of course... Does turning up the modulation make any difference here??

Anything else that you may think beneficial, please let me know!!

Thanks!

Hey Booty...

Thanks man! This is helpful, and I hadn't got far enough to find it.

Also, does anyone know what the cobra 2000 gtl's that have been untouched will do on am and ssb watt wise, and what the deadkey and swing should be for am on these units (when used on the Texas Star 500V for instance)?

Thanks!

snake eyes,

the DX500 uses 4 2SC2879 transistors.

they like a bit more deadkey than the 1446's and the 2290's.

IMO you should set the deadkey for 3-4 watts, and let it swing from there.

the DX500 can handle all the swing a 2000GTL can give it.

if, by some strange reason, your tech is able to get more than 25 watts PEP out of the radio, then first, tell me how he did it, and then, tell him to keep it to about 22-25 watts PEP.

both AM and SSB.

tell him not to cut TR24 as this will mess up the SSB quality.

just turn up VR12 all the way and use the mike gain on the front of the radio to vary the modulation sensitivity.

dont mess with R124 and 126, as this will just make your mic squeal when you turn up the modulation.

you can change C109 to a 3.3 or a 4.7uF cap to quicken the attack time of the AMC circuit, and changing C18 to a 1000uF cap will make sure that your mic doesnt squeal.

VR10 for AM deadkey.

VR11 for SSB power.

that is all.
see if that setup dont just kick ass.

you probably wont need to run with the mic gain much past 12 o'clock now.

these are just my findings, others may disagree.
LC

LC,

Your post is like a breath of fresh air. In that, I am NOW considering (and have been thinking about) just keeping the radio stock, so as to keep its value up!!

How important is an alignment, and turning up the DynaMike internally?

Since the radio will do well at its type accepted 3-4 watt dead key (with that Texas Star 500V), then what about just keeping things stock as I've mentioned?

Thanks.

73, Snake Eyes

if you want to keep the radio stock, just do that and it will sound fine.
they are good radios stock.

turning up the internal mic gain adjustment just gives you more range in your tuning of the external control.

like, you can now turn it up too high if you want to.

so, if you want, just turn up VR12 all the way, if you get no modulation after you turn it, turn it all the way the other way.

when you decide to sell the radio, just put it back where it was. (make a mark or a note of it)

an alignment is highly recommended.
a peak and tune is not.

ask if the tech uses an oscilloscope or an RF voltmeter to tune the PLL section.

if the answer is anything but, "an oscilloscope of course!!!"
then go to a different shop.
LC

well, what i'm hearing is that the radio does well when it's stock.

what i'm also hearing is that an alignment is definitely a good idea.

so, last question...

what is typically done in cb radio alignments? ur answer should help me greatly in making an "informed" decision.

73, Snake Eyes

in an alignment, each area of the radio is tuned to the correct setting.

first the PLL (thing that makes the channels what they are) section is aligned so that it is generating the correct frequencies.

this will make sure that when you are on ch. 19, that when your clarifier is centered, you are exactly on 27.1850mhz.

this really helps when using SSB, because you can tell the other guy, "i just had my radio aligned, it must be your radio". LOL

next is the receiver section.
this is aligned so that each stage of the receiver is operating at peak sensitivity.
very important for DXing.

then the transmitter is aligned.
a good shop would never use the term "peak and tune" to describe this part.

most hack shops only do the transmitter part, do it wrong, and then call it an alignment.LOL

here is a guy who is a member of this forum, that will do exactly what you need and your radio will sound great.
many satisfied customers here.

www.dtbradio.com

later,
LC

You never give a rest.....do ya?

he asked a question about driving a texas star 500 . i game him the info texas star provides for driving it . is there something wrong with that ? why dont you get a life and leave me the frack alone ? go find another man somewhere that wants your attention......cause i dont .

he asked a question about driving a texas star 500 . i game him the info texas star provides for driving it . is there something wrong with that ? why dont you get a life and leave me the frack alone ? go find another man somewhere that wants your attention......cause i dont .

Stop being a crybaby. I make one post to you in 6 months and you are dropping tears.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.