• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 GTL and Texas Star 500V

snake eyes , did you get that 2000 and 500 to work together nicely ? what kind of results are you having now ?

There was a delay in shipment, I should have the Texas Star on Tuesday!

Will report back then.

Thank you.

73, Snake Eyes

Please don't cause harmonics and splatter or Booty will be on the soap box until Iran agrees to be friends with Israel.

I have the Texas Star 500V, but it needs to be converted over to 10-12 meter.

According to cbtricks.com, this can be done fairly easily.

Anyone personally try their hand at converting one of these things?

I have a friend with an electronics background that is going to look at this amp in the coming weeks.

Also, I see that the "fins" for the 500V are on the bottom. What do I do about running a fan (or fans)?

Do I just place two of these fans on the bottom?

I guess if I don't hear back from anyone running any fans, that is what I will do.

Thanks for all the responses in this thread.

73, Snake Eyes

ive rarely seen pics of a TS 500 with fans on them . they are ab amps and not ment to be overdriven like class c amps . if its gonna be mounted out of site or mostly out of site id just turn it upside down/fin side up and mount a fan......if i was having heat related problems .

you might not have to convert that amp depending on where you bought it from.
where did you buy it?

look inside the amp, do you see a crystal? (like the kind in 23 channel radios and old scanners)
if there is no crystal, then it has already been converted.

as for the fans, just turn the amp upside down, and mount a computer hard drive fan to the fins.
or you could mount the amp under a shelf.

LC

this amp has definitely not been converted, and i'm at cbtricks.com, looking for the conversion!

it seems there's a lot to it (IMHO), but I will let it get done by someone who does this kind of thing, no doubt.....

Snake Eyes

dead key vs swing

according to texas stars website above the 500v needs 20 watts input for its rated 500 watt output . there is no deadkey on ssb .
having more than %100 moulation will invite distortion and splatter .

Is that dead keys watts? What if your radio swings way over 20, will that be over driving it? Or will I be OK as long as my radio does not dead key over 20?
Thanks

the 500v has 4-2879 and will handle more than 20 watts pep
iveheard of people using up too 60-75 watts pep. and as high as a
5 watt dk.the cobra 2000 wont even cme closer to overdriving this amp
probaly wont see full output of amp either.for this radio the 667v is a better
choice it has a built in driver.my 2 cents

I seen the same thing as 555. You only really want the radio to dead key little more than 1 watt, or it will choke your audio and swing. If you know something that can improve the swing in the 2000GTL, your amp will work best with a 1 watt dead key.

find out what your radio will make your amp cleanly swing . then adjust the deadkey of the radio to make the amp deadkey %25ish of what its cleanly swinging . the 2000 by itself wont wring the last clean watt out of the amp but it should still get 3 or 4 hundred watts . the 500 should cruse forever problem free like that and the difference between 400 and 600 watts isnt what some folks might have you think .

what power supply are you gonne use with the 500 ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.