• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 2000 keyup "surge" they all do it...

Crazy_D

Aug 22, 2006
All the cobra 2000's I have seen have a keyup surge. When you key up the mic, the power shoots forward and comes back very quickly to the deadkey. I see this on my RMS BIRD meter. Any one know a fix how to stop this surge. a certain capacitor??

Thanks

do these 2000's have an NPC mod done to them?

what about the Justin depolis mod?

my 2000 does this, as does my 148, but they are both modded.
cant remember if they did that when they were stock, but i dont think they did.
my memory isnt what it... hows that go again?
loosecannon

I have all the mods you pretty much have, as I do my own mods since I am a competent technician.

If I can figure this surge thing out, I will be happy, it has be a cap or something! I want to drive some big boxes with the radio but dont like the way it responds on keyup...

"All the cobra 2000's I have seen have a keyup surge".

then all of the 2000's you've seen have modified AMC.

"When you key up the mic, the power shoots forward and comes back very quickly to the deadkey".

a competent technician would know that what he was looking at is termed "attack overshoot" resulting from an improperly operating AMC circuit.

"I see this on my RMS BIRD meter".

the effect is even more pronounced when measuring PEP. there is no such thing as RMS power. the Bird without the pep adapter measures AVERAGE power, not RMS. it's an acronym for Root Mean Square which is descriptive of the mathematical calculation involving maximum current and voltage from which the AVERAGE power is derived.

"Any one know a fix how to stop this surge. a certain capacitor"??

restore the AMC circuit to its OEM design. when the circuit was modified the attack, sustain, decay and release timing of the AMC circuit was destroyed.

lol freecell couldnt you just say put the damn limiter back in?

Freecell is right, if you call Bird, and ask them they will tell you, the meter reads average power, and Peak with the peak kit installed.
RMS (root mean square) gets missused a lot.
Here is some good reading, have a look.

www.eznec.com/Amateur/RMS_Power.pdf
If you can get through this, you will have a good understanding of what he is talking about.
Jeff[/quote]

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.