• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 25 LTD KEYING TROUBLE

hank

Aug 30, 2006
I HAVE A COBRA 25 LTD AS SOON AS U TURN IT ON WITH ON MIC THE TX RX LITE FLICKERS AND THE RADIO QUICK KEYS WITH OUT A MIC. CHCEKED THE MIC PLUG EVEN TOOK THE WIRES OFF THE BACK OF PLUG AND IT DOES THE SAME THING KEYING TRANSISTOR IS OK .
?????????????.

You want to try to explain that again Hank ? :headbang You turn it on and the radio keys itself off and on ? Up to this point I would say you had a ghost in the machine. I've never seen a 25 do that.

Although I've never seen one that couldn't be repaired one way or the other. Please try and explain a little better.

YOU GOT IT RIGHT WHEN THE RADIO IS TURNED ON IT KEYS AND UNKEYS LIKE YOU ARE KEYING THE MIC AS FAST AS YOU CAN BUT WITH NO MIC HOOKED UP AND ALL OF THE WIRES REMOVED FROM THE BACK OF THE MIC PLUG ON THE RADIO.????????????
I HOPE THIS HELPS.
HANK

So there is a ghost in the machine :( IM just kidding. I could guess at a few thinks , but it sounds like it needs good benching from someone qualified to do it.

your also saying that all the wires inside the radio are disconnected from the back of the small board that is connected to the mic plug itself and it's still freaking out like that ?

Now I've seen VCO's in the radios get slightly knocked out of line where the radio would flicker from on and off frequancy to where it only needed to be adjusted again , but that doesn't sound like the problem the way you are discribing it.

I really don't know Hank up to this point. I have a suggestion for you , Go to CBTricks.Com and sign up on there Forum (it's a automatic thing) sounds like something Nomadradio could help you with , you could place your question either in the Cobra radio section or you could just PM Nomadradio , he's a good dude. Good luck to you Hank

Am I to understand correctly that all the wires on the back side of the mic plug on the radio are de-soldered?

HI MOLECULO
YES I DE-SOLDERED THE WIRES ON THE BACK OF THE MIC JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT NOTHING WAS TOUCHING AND IT STILL DOES IT. I CHECKED THE KEYING TRANSISTOR ALSO. IT ACTS LIKE THE SWITCHING TRANSISTOR IS EITHER GROUNDING OUT OR GETTING VOLTAGE FROM SOME WHERE THAT IS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM I WILL DO SOME MORE CHECKING.I WILL PROBABLY PUT IT ON MY SCOPE HOPE I CAN FIND THE TROUBLE.
THANX HANK

Put the mic wires back. Get the schematic and look for the TX/RX switch. On the block diagram, it looks to me like it's TR16. Look on the other side of the radio for a solder blob or something that might be shorting it out. I would also take a look at D13 and TR17. There's a good chance your problem is one of those two transistors or the diode.

Does the radio only key and unkey one time when it is turned on or does it continue to rattle back and forth?
Does the radio have a aftermarket roger beep installed as that could cause a single key when power is turned on.

Scott

SWITCH KIT
YES I HAVE A COMPLETE TEST LAB. SCOPE, SIGNAL GENERATOR ,IF GENERATOR, TONE GENERATOR, FREQUENCY COUNTER, AND QUITE A BIT OF OTHER TEST EQUIPMENT
THANX FOR ASKING.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.