• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 25 NW ST POOR RX

speedracer6g

Feb 5, 2008
New Enterprise, PA
I am working on a Cobra 25 nw st. It had carrier with no tx modulation and no rx. i traced the transmit problem to a burnt d10 diode and burnt modulation transformer. i replaced both items plus the audio chip. no transmit works fine but i have very poor rx i have to turn my monitor up to 85 uV to get it to register just below 1 on the signal meter. i replaced tr1 and teh 2 1n4148s on the rx input and also replaced the 2 schotky diodes and ran through a rx allignment. i still have poor rx if anybody has had this problem or has any ideas let me know. i think this problem all started with a jumper on d9 or d10 the clipping diode. this caused that feedback problem i have herd about and well the rest is history. any help would be great

thanks,

MIKE

Had the same problem and did the same thing you have up to this point Mike , after hours of trying to figure it out , the radio became a parts radio. this is also when I learned and through further investagation , jumping the anti-spiking diode is a NO NO ! it's just not worth the extra watt you might get out of the radios.I was very surprised to see that even DTB jumps those diodes ? Go figure ? There there for a reason. Although he does mention about the RX at higher volumes. This has been a few years for me now , and after reading why it wasn't a good idea , I steer clear from the jumping of that diode.It's not worth it in the end. I suggest if somebody wants more power with these cb radios , buy an amp or figure out a good mosfet mod on them. Good luck to you Mike , I hope you figure it out. Peace

Yep i used to jump the diodes until i found out what happens and it realy dosnt get you much. i had this radio laying around and got the transmit side to work but the receiver dosnt open up until u start pumping about 81uv into the receiver. on the brite side i got the new ERF2030 mod working great on the cobra 25s there is a couple of things i had to do but i am getting about 19 watts with no clipping AVG rms. wich is better than some of the 2sc1969 by a couple of watts. butt the only problem is i still only have about 7 watts deadkey i would like to get 12 or better. I have to tweak the biasing on my 29 setup yet before i write anything up on them to. i figure i will post some stuff up here on the forum to help some other guys out too.

MIKE(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.