• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 ltd VR6?

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I've opened up a couple cobra 29's lately that have a VR6 pot in them. Its not listed in the service manuals that I seen. What does this pot control or is it hooked up to anything at all?:confused:

And one more thing. How can the antenna warning light be adjusted? I ran across one that only lit up when no antenna was connected at all but if the SWR was over 3 it still didn't lite up.

Last edited:

Don't feel dumb... Now you know what the VR does. I learn something new everytime I modify or repair a radio.

Well , if your getting into the radio in the first place , and doing this and that to it (whatever this and that is ?) I would trust that SWR meter about as far as I could spit , and that ain't far. Although it does give a guy something to go on .

It goes for the transmit and receiver portion of the meter as well ..... simply something to go on. Amps will make those warning lights go crazy as well .......just to keep somebody from worrying about anything , I would pretty much adjust those things way down and tell others it's always best to use a SWR meter and not the radios , so whatever the meter on the radio is telling you ? ......that's what they can go by and know that they are OK one way or the other.

I agree with you switch as far as the meter goes. Its for referance, not for accurate readings.
I wanted to make sure that the setting on the antenna warning light was at its most sensitive. This way if someone has a problem with an antenna it gives them a warning. I dont want it to only light up if the antenna is broken off or not connected at all. I want it to light up around 2swr not 7 or more.

Thanks everyone for the help on this. I love learning things!

I know this is an old post but thought I would bring it back up. I have the new Cobra 29 XL and the display after adjusting the modulation in the radio, SWR 1.2 to 1 on all chanels with Wilson 1000 no amp other wise stock radio, every once and a while the warning flashes on the display. Question is this also a VR6 adjustment and will it affect any thing else in the radio?

I know this is an old post but thought I would bring it back up. I have the new Cobra 29 XL and the display after adjusting the modulation in the radio, SWR 1.2 to 1 on all chanels with Wilson 1000 no amp other wise stock radio, every once and a while the warning flashes on the display. Question is this also a VR6 adjustment and will it affect any thing else in the radio?

I had the same problem, totally inconsistent. warning would go off at 2.2 on the SWR then sometimes it wouldn't at 3 or just under. Then the rest of the day it shows .3 on SWR. Sometimes the SWR will spike from .3 to 7 while dead keyin it. Nothings changed other than being mobile. Don't know if its a Mercedes thing, since I read about tenna problems in Freightliners ( mercedes) or the new fancy digi screen. Analog meters are way more trusting.

I checked my swr and power out also adjusted the radio while in the truck with it running. I was useing my dosy meter. I turned up the modulation and was useing a roadking RK-56 mic. after the tune I olny set it to 4 watts out dead key. the swr was 1.2 to 1.3 on all 40 and the antenna warning would come up on the screen of the radio. I adjusted VR6 slightly and now it's not comming on. I also had to do this with a cobra 29 LTD chrome. the light kept comming on. VR6 must be the adjustment for the light of the warning indicator 29 ltd and on the screen of tne new LX model also. as far as I can tell.
Seems if you adjust for modulation you wil get the warning.

Reactions: LeapFrog
I checked my swr and power out also adjusted the radio while in the truck with it running. I was useing my dosy meter. I turned up the modulation and was useing a roadking RK-56 mic. after the tune I olny set it to 4 watts out dead key. the swr was 1.2 to 1.3 on all 40 and the antenna warning would come up on the screen of the radio. I adjusted VR6 slightly and now it's not comming on. I also had to do this with a cobra 29 LTD chrome. the light kept comming on. VR6 must be the adjustment for the light of the warning indicator 29 ltd and on the screen of tne new LX model also. as far as I can tell.
Seems if you adjust for modulation you wil get the warning.
Some people then go on to adjust vr6 to use the antenna swr led as a makeshift modulation indicator, this doesn't always work; it depends on how the radio was setup.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.