• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 29 mod

All depends on what you want, see big swing on a meter and sound like crap or have nice clean audio doing real watts on the frequency you are talking on.

I don't have a problem with your cap/resistor mod , trust me here 15 ,your audio is already off the scale , leave the limiter as is. What goes very nice with your radio set up like that is either a RK-56 NC or Astatic 636 NC or the Cobra coffin style stock mic. Set right on the tradios Mic gain control , you will sound fantastic. I don't care what the machines say !! :) Have fun !!

Great, I get to bug you guys with more questions.

Can someone please tell me what on eatrh swing is. I understand what carrier power is, and I believe swing is how you measure PEP? Not exactly sure, but if swing is PEP then I'm al screwed up because yesterday I thought swing was modulation. After reading a few posts I now believe that to be false but not sure. So if what I now believe to be true is true then how in the name of Ohm do you measure modulation.

I believe I am looking for a system that has a solid stable carrier level (dead key-right?) and all the audio (modulation?) I can possibly muster, without giving a hill of beans about swing ( wich I believe to be PEP, wich I could care less about because I don't sit at truck stops and brag all night long, hated those guys all my life. WAAAA BABBBYYY do you have any idea how absolutly silly that makes you sound?) I also KNOW I want every bit of power I can get in the narowest beamwidth I can create centered on the frequency on intention and with little or no drift (again, the Navy way.) Can someone please tell me if that is right and awnser my question about measuring modulation? I'd apreciate it.

Thanks again
Ron

swing is when you DK(keyup low 3/4-1 watt) and swing full (maximum)power output while modulating(talking into the mic)....(nice reports of sneaking up on a channel with a friend 80 miles away and seeing me 1 watt swinging 10 on his meter)some say its distorted(with a powermic and cliping(removing limitors)) but if you don't clip nothing you can get clean amped modulation and sound good..In my years of opinion and talking ...and as for radio checks its well worth it...most parts in radios ain't even half driven.
I do it local only and maybe skip sometimes..but carrier and a bit of swing is what you want to keep...theres a lot of members here that claim you can't modulate over 100% and sound good but some peeps got stuck on book text..I got stuck on dong it and altering circuits.....so this is how i know it can be done..and the backup is
about 24000 dollars worth of equipment and 25 years doing it(this includes T.V VCR PC troubleshooting circuits and most electronics)
I ain't claiming to be the best or claiming swinging is the best its just for your knowledge and understanding!
and you will have the best of both worlds...

Sorry Lords, I totally lost you in the jargon. I'll try to go line by line and explain what I think you are saying.

"swing is when you DK(keyup low 3/4-1 watt) and swing full (maximum)power output while modulating(talking into the mic)"

OK, so this means that swing is just how much more power your amp puts out when it has a input as opposed to no input (dead key) right?

"some say its distorted(with a powermic and cliping(removing limitors)) but if you don't clip nothing you can get clean amped modulation and sound good"

Sorry, totally lost all I understand is distorted and sound good. Don't know what cliping is or what limitors are.

"I do it local only and maybe skip sometimes..but carrier and a bit of swing is what you want to keep"

You do what locally? Swing? if so then what do you do when your not local? I don't know what skipping is, again with my lack of comprehension with jargon.

"theres a lot of members here that claim you can't modulate over 100% and sound good "

My understanding of modulation is the percentage of the wave form you are regenerating. So if 100% is 360 degrees, how can you modulate more than that?

"some peeps got stuck on book text..I got stuck on dong it and altering circuits.....so this is how i know it can be done"

I prefer to read the book and understand the theory, then try it in practice and figure out what really works. My year one electricity professor hated me for this at DeVry, when I showed him that sometimes half voltage is not where you get max power in a complex circuit he said "you have done everything right and it has not worked, so something is wrong" explain that one to me.

OK, I know I'm asking alot and I apreciate all the help, but if you could explain what I didn't understand I'd apreciate it.

Thanks again

Ron

Swing?

You got it. :idea: Swing is what the meter does ( in the radio or on the bench meter) when you go from keyed up ( carrier) to talking (modulated), with an AM signal. It can be a bit different with other modes of operation.
There are other more exacting explainations. But for all intensive purposes this will do.

This is actually an expression used by truckdrivers and not by good techs. Not accurate enough to usually describe the event in a good shop. The good shop will use the term "modulation" instead, and it will be expressed in terms of percentage and type.

The ideal is a 4.1 to 1 ratio between the carrier and 100% modulated output signal. The rest of all the jargon is someones idea for a linear or other CB quackery.

Hope this helps you.
marven

cobra 29

While I'm at it, I'd like to suggest a couple of books to you. Since you said you preferred the theory and then the experiments. Those books would be "The screwdrivers experts guide" and "Understanding and repairing CB radios for the professional technician" by Lou Franklin
They are both available at www.cbcintl.com and so is a host of resources. A good reference library would also include a complete set of Sams Photofax books, all 293. The sams are available at ebay and other places. But you will need one for your radio in hand, # 217.

If you really want to get into the meat and potatoes of radios and accessorys then get the "ARRL Handbook", the ARRL "Antenna book", and they have dozens of others. The ARRL is for Ham radio, and the theory's apply to CB. I also would recommend "Concepts of electronics" books 1&2 from heathkit. (out of print but still can be found)

Hope you like to read!! :D

Then with about 3 years of electronics education and a few thousand dollars in test equiptment, you stand a hope of doing good experiments. Buy a good osciliscope, without it your only guessing and you will be wrong.

If you need more resources, let me know. But this should be a good start.
marven

noyb72

Swing!!!!! Swing is when you key up and say nothing. This is deadkey. (Stock radio around 4 watts.) When you speak into your mic and you watt meter moves to around 7 watts. (stock radio) Thats your swing!!!!!!!!!! My radio has 1 watt deadkey and 25 watt swing. My amp likes it that way. Hope you understand know.

noyb72

Swing!!!!! Swing is when you key up and say nothing. This is deadkey. (Stock radio around 4 watts.) When you speak into your mic and you watt meter moves to around 7 watts. (stock radio) Thats your swing!!!!!!!!!! My radio has 1 watt deadkey and 25 watt swing. My amp likes it that way. Hope you understand know.

That's cute.

My three 29's DK 1 watt and swing to 38 watts. It's just the DM kit!

Thanks, Dodgem250.com

Years ago, swing was refering to watching you meter needle swing forward when some transmitters were keyed. The saying was "so and so had alot of swing" in his signal.
Others would back up on your needle. Some Rf signals have a well developed envelope and others have a high peak with no real width. The speech processors that were developed made you have a more powerful modulation envelope.

swing is a slang term . it refers to the ammoung of swing/movement on a power meter between the stationary dead key ammount shown and how much the meter moves/swings to show the power output when modulating/talking into the mic . on ssb there is no deadkey so it is all swing/modulated power . swing is usually use in reference to power measurements in am mode . deadkeying about %25 of what your radio/amp will swing/modulate power wise is usually assocated with %100 modulation .

the fact that cb amps arnt linear in reguards to power input output vs input puts a different light on the radios power driving it . your typical 4 pill amp needs about 1 1/2 - 3 watts to deadkey 100 -150 watts but will need 20 - 30 watts to modulate/swing to 500 - 600 watts . the amp is still close to the ideal 1 to 4 ratio (you never get it absolutely perfect) but the radio is doing a 1 to 10 ratio and more .

so if youre running a barefoot radio (no amp) a 1 to 4 ratio is prefered . running a amp typically need a much wider ratio because of the deadkey needed to properly key an amp .

i hope i got that right . lol . if not il be eating crow for the next few pages .

p.s. crow taste much better with the feathers off and cooked . dont ask how i know !!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.