• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 symptoms

543_Dallas

Jul 25, 2011
When I think bad finals I think no output. I have a Cobra 29 made in 1993 that had an rf feedback problem with the mic gain set to max. I could turn the mic gain down and stop it but the feedback could be heard with modulation. It has all new electrolytic caps and worked good otherwise. I swapped the final and driver with ones from a parts rig and all is well. Has anyone ran into this? The final is now a 1969 because that's what I had on hand.

I also used a string of diodes in series with d8 to lower the carrier instead of the usual cap and resistor or tip 120 at the collector of the driver. The modulation peaks are much cleaner this way. For those who have done this mod have you noticed the diodes get warm on long transmissions?

D8 was removed and replaced with 6 6a10 diodes. I suppose the 3.6v drop will make some heat but I didn't expect 6 amp diodes to get warm at all. The rig draws less than 3 amps at full strap.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I'd be looking for a short from the mike ground to the chassis.

Maybe inside the mike plug?

Or loose ground screws around the edge of the pc board. If it's a Malaysia radio, every fastener in it will be loose by now, along with the antenna and mike socket. That factory never learned to tighten screws and sockets.

Thanks for the tips. I did check the screws and some were loose. It's Philippine radio. I'll check for a short to chassis at the mic socket and take a closer look when it starts to act up again.

I thought I may have damaged the final by practicing morse code with the 29 while monitoring on a ssb receiver. It's probably not designed for that.:LOL:

I have a soft spot for old cobra 29s. The new ones seem to be going down hill and I like to have a few dozen spares.

Reactions: Chevboy0167

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.