• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 won't power on

I have to say this forum never stops amazing me . You guys are good I am so glad I joined . It's almost like that web MD for radio's !**Jump_im**

Just wanted to say that this was the identical problem on my 29 LTD classic. Same exact break in the circuit board trace (apparently they share atleast some circuit design). My 29 LTD has a build date of October 2006.

That was from it being plugged in backwards.
Yes; this kind of mistake is quite common with noobies and veterans alike. Happens when one isn't paying attention to the polarities when in a hurry or not being aware of the consequences of hooking up the radio backwards . . .It also pays off to buy and keep a dozen 1N4003 diodes - juat in case . . .

I bought a radio for parts off of guy recently, he said radio was dead. I was about to butcher it for parts but saw this driode was blown and replaced and radio worked perfectly. This video is good for part numbers at radio shak

This is the condition the radio was in when I pulled it out of my buddy's barn. He swears it worked when he threw it on the shelf (no power cord, mic or bracket so his claim is suspect). I'm fully capable of blowing a radio myself, but it never powered on from the start. I'm going to grab a handful of diodes when I'm in town today and see how many dead radios I can scrounge from the local rednecks. My point in my original post was just to help people searching the web for power on issues that this identical problem and circuit board layout were applicable to the venerable cobra 29 ltd classic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.