• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 75 WX ST

Jul 1, 2005
Still looking for a clean installation in my '03 Silverado. Any thoughts on the Cobra 75 WX ST? I also want the clean look while mounting an antenna. What type/brand would you suggest? I was thinking of mounting it on the bedrails or on the side of the stake pocket. Any thoughts on that?
cobra_75wxst.jpg

Chevy install

If you are looking for any performance at all, I wouldn't go with 75. If you are only looking to use this in a family car trip convoy or communications within few miles it may serve your needs. I often seen the 75 being used by off-roaders, who typically use it to communicate line of sight distance.

Otherwise, from what I read, the speakers is hardly adequet and people only seem to use 'em for short range communcations. Maybe you can get decent distance with a good antenna, but if you are looking to DX or be a cb hobbist, then you should really look else where ...

my 2 cents.

In terms of "CLEAN INSTALL", I struggled with this too. I ended up going with a stake hole install. (got a dodge ram 1500 2003 QC) I used the Stake hole install with a off set and is pretty clean. Be sure to get the firestik fire-ring cables for much cleaner look. Fire-ring looks much much cleaner in my opinion AND you also don't have to worry about clearance issues.

Here is few other things you may want to look at ....
http://www.geotool.com/antmount.htm
http://www.tmrce.com/

I believe that will take care of your antenna mounting worries. Now start worrying about your RADIO install in the cabin......

That geotool mount looks pretty cool. I had one of the Cobra 75's a long time ago. They're fine for line of site, but not much farther. I wouldn't recommend them if you didn't like your handheld; they're basically the same thing. Personally, I'd look on top of your dash for space, or use a hump mount to go in the middle on the floor. Then you can put whatever radio you want. BTW, are you wanting SSB, or AM only?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.