• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 89 XLR

nobody

Apr 4, 2011
I was looking for some info on the web last night for some adjustment info on my 89 XLR. The only thing I could find on it was the "power" and "modulation" mods (clipped limiter). The previous owner(s) apparently did those mods and it wasn't what I was looking for.
When I got the radio it transmitted just fine and received great audio reports from others. The only issue was the received audio on my end. I could barely understand all but the strongest local stations because everyone else sounded like they may have been 100 miles away because of hash in the audio. However the signal meter would peg out every time someone transmitted. Frustrated I tried adjusting some pots on the board after taking note of their current settings or positions. Apparently my educated guess on the correct pots were correct. :D Now it has excellent transmit audio and the received audio sounds excellent also! The signal meter still appears to be little happy but it doesn't peg out every time someone else transmits.
However there are some things that concern me. While looking over the board I noticed another diode and a transistor had been clipped before I got the radio. They're still there and may be able solder them back in place. I suspect they may had something to do with the problem I was having because they were right next to the two pots I adjusted in the radio. They are labeled "TR14" and "D18." Anyone know what they do? Also noticed the adjustment screw for "L11" is missing. "L11" was mentioned in some of the mods for power I found. While I don't mind more power I want a clean signal. Should I be concerned? :)
BTW I had it on this morning and heard a guy out of CA going by "131" and had a broadcast quality sound on channel 27. I thought he was local until I heard him mention Mojave and CA.

I've found that before however I didn't bother paying attention the diagram at the bottom. "D18" is a diode with 13.8v in and 9v out to "TR16." Will the increase in volts damage it? "TR14" is apparently a (transistor) "limiter." So what does "D11" do?

I wish I had the tools and equipment to do a correct alignment on it. :)

Ummm . . . Think I would set this radio back to stock as much as possible . . . These radios are not known as 'big strappers' . . . Had a Uniden 'Honest Abe' - which is virtually the same radio/chassis as the Cobra 89XLR . . . Great radio when aligned and stock . . . I wouldn't expect a lot from it . . . Receive was outstanding though . . . Here is a page that might help you out some:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-radio-modifications/33248-any-hot-mods-uniden-honest-abe.html

CB Tricks page:

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/89xlr/index.htm

Parts list:

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/89xlr/graphics/cobra_89xlr_parts_om.pdf

Last edited:
I'm actually happy the way it performs now but am concerned rather or not any of the above cut / clipped diodes or transistors will shorten the life of the radio. I plan to only use it for local contacts so now need for it to talk to the otherside of the country. The other radio I have will be used for DX etc. :)

Thanks for your help!

I THINK its the same as the President Zachary T. I know i had the same issue with the Zachary T and i couldnt fix it so i almost gave it away...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.