• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra HH38 wxst 40 channel hand held is it any good?

sluggo

Aug 11, 2010
Im looking to buy a 40 channel hand held cb to listen to at night and just goof around on. Was looking at the cobra hand held HH38 WXST 40 channel question any good ?? thanks.

I used alot of handheld CBs for hunting when I was a kid but never did use the HH38. I do have an HH-45 and it has been a very good radio for what it is, you can expect about a mile range handheld to handheld in the woods in rugged terrain. Find a larger antenna maybe 2 or 3 miles.

The old Realistic and GE units with the center loaded telescopic antennas were the best, AT LEAST 3 miles range with a full powered models, and I had a maximum range of 15 miles from mountaintop where I lived to valley.

Cobra makes a telescopic antenna, called the HATA, guess you pronounce it hatah but its not as good as the old cener loaded models. Radio shack also made external center loaded, and I am sure someone out there still does.

I dont care much for the HH-38s layout, I like the HH-45 better, it can take rechargeable packs or AA's and uses a standardized attachment of battery, , good clean audio, can easily be modified for upper and lower channels, A channels (and upper upper channels), and it just looks cool. also similar to midland 75-820, cherokee ah-27 and others.

so it depends on price as to what i get if it were me, might buy one if it was like $20

Im looking to buy a 40 channel hand held cb to listen to at night and just goof around on. Was looking at the cobra hand held HH38 WXST 40 channel question any good ?? thanks.

They are OK for what they are. Receive and transmit will be severely limited. An indoor firestick base and a cheap radio/power supply would be way better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.