• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra Philippines Model

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
I know the Cobra 29 Philippines model is supposed to sound great on the air, but what about the 148 Philippines model? Does it sound good on am like the 29? Also, is it stable in SSB?(at least better than Galaxy 959?)

The old 148 sounds good on am and ssb. If you're after a good clean sounding radio they're hard to beat. My new China 148 sounds good on am too....don't really use ssb but some have complaints about them. The best I can tell its ok for ssb as long as you leave the power level stock. The rx is pretty good too. I only use am but I'd buy a new 148 again over an old radio that someone has had their hands in.

The 29 is in a different class IMO. They do very well on am but the rx isn't as good as a 148. They will do more power than a 148 without a lot of mods and still sound decent. If you're wanting something loud a 29 is a better candidate. A 148 is best left alone as far as power mods because they go from a warm mellow sound to raspy trash after you give one the ol' super tune.

The Philippine radios are held very high in the CB community but for what people want to charge for an old one in good shape I'd rather buy a new one. The new 29 uses a different audio chip and doesn't really mod for power as well so if that's what you're after the uniden 78 still uses the old chip.

Thanks for the feedback guys. You do have a point on getting a new radio vs an older one that other people have messed with. Maybe a peaked and tuned 979 with an unlocked clarifier?

I disagree, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The newer Cobra 148s are garbage on SSB compared to their older counterpart. They do fine on AM but SSB is another story. Anyone who would pick a new 148 over the older versions probably have never used the older version. They were built to last and perform up to expectation back then. That is why these older radios are still around 30 years later. I bought myself a Grant XL for steal at $40 + S&H, sent it to DTB Radio for a look over and alignment for another $35. Sure I spent $80 on an old radio but the thing will probably go another 30 years. And it rocks. It is my favorite radio next to my old Madison base. Even though its probably 25 or 30 years old, I bet it still outlasts the newer 148. The reason the older radios are selling for so much is because they are better radios and people want them.

The Grant XL is the same radio as the Philippine made Cobra 148. You don't need super tunes on these radio because they are superb performers already. Slight modulation adjustment is all you need.

Reactions: walterjn
I've only used mine on ssb once and it seemed to do ok. I have a couple old 148s. One is a virgin and put away and the other is on the shelf because the new one works just as well on am. The new one was bought to build a hifi rig and not hack up a classic old radio. I had planned to get it perfected and mod an old side mic 148 or grant the same way but the new one grew on me. I have a switch installed to switch back to stock and plug in a stock mic. I just wanted to mention that so you know I'm comparing apples to apples on transmit. However the rx has been widened up, x-tal filter changed, Schottky diodes and 2999 rx transistor. The rx may have sucked stock but it didn't remain stock long enough to make a good judgement.

I respect your opinion and all the others that are fans of the old rigs...I'm a fan too. I will say the new 148 isn't near the quality of an old one but they aren't as bad as some think. Most people that put them down have never used one or was unhappy with the ssb performance after their tech peaked and tuned it. The new voltage regulator is cheap and unstable. You really start to hear the warble when ssb power is cranked up.

As for the 979 I'm sure its fine on am but I've never owned one and I think you need reccomendations from other ssb users. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. My 959 was a talker on am but it did drift on ssb.

Not to hijack your thread but i picked up a cobra 29 made in hong kong( i think before the philipines ones) is that of the same quality? Got it for 15$ it sounds great

I've only used mine on ssb once and it seemed to do ok. I have a couple old 148s. One is a virgin and put away and the other is on the shelf because the new one works just as well on am. The new one was bought to build a hifi rig and not hack up a classic old radio. I had planned to get it perfected and mod an old side mic 148 or grant the same way but the new one grew on me. I have a switch installed to switch back to stock and plug in a stock mic. I just wanted to mention that so you know I'm comparing apples to apples on transmit. However the rx has been widened up, x-tal filter changed, Schottky diodes and 2999 rx transistor. The rx may have sucked stock but it didn't remain stock long enough to make a good judgement.

I respect your opinion and all the others that are fans of the old rigs...I'm a fan too. I will say the new 148 isn't near the quality of an old one but they aren't as bad as some think. Most people that put them down have never used one or was unhappy with the ssb performance after their tech peaked and tuned it. The new voltage regulator is cheap and unstable. You really start to hear the warble when ssb power is cranked up.

As for the 979 I'm sure its fine on am but I've never owned one and I think you need reccomendations from other ssb users. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. My 959 was a talker on am but it did drift on ssb.

I don't think people have any complaints of the new 148 on AM once they have been tuned by a good tech, it is SSB where the problem is. And being an older radio doesn't mean that they are hacked up. Same as new radios. Some are hacked and some aren't. Most repairs are only $30-$50 anyway. It isn't much to right a radio that had a golden screwdriver. The RX upgrades can also be done on older models too. But I'm starting to sound like a salesman.

I have a few Galaxy radios. Only one is a SSB model. AM is very good on them but there is some drift on SSB. Mostly during warm up. Once they reach operating temp they are much more stabile. I think that the drift can be exaggerated. In a mobile you'll see more of a problem than if you use one as a base.

I just scored a one made in the Philippines, it's a dynascan one for 40 dollars on cl. It's not in perfect condition on the outside but the inside is nice. Great radio glad I found it.

Cobra 148 vs Uniden Grant XL?

Early grant xls were exactly the same as a philly 148. The later XLs and LTs are slightly more evolved versions of the platform. The XL is the pinnacle of true cb's imho.

None of the 8719 mobiles are AM monsters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.