• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra UK 29 LTD ST Mod

hal2710

Feb 17, 2014
Hi all,

I got the rig a few weeks ago and it works fine. There is a mod were you unsolder 2 contacts and it should then open up the rig to AM/FM and do 26 to 28 MHz. I've done the mod but it doesn't seem to have worked. Still only got 80 channels UK/EU

Anyone done this mod ? Is there something else to do ? Should I resolder it and give up ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mick

HAL-

this is a very simple mod. This rig will have 10 bands of 40 channel after the mod. MAKE SURE THE POWER TO THE RADIO IS COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED. Then remove the case and remove the solder jumper shown in the pic below. Leave the radio disconnected for an additional 10 minutes. Then hook it up and you're ready to go. The bands are controlled by the Tone and Delta Tune controls. Good luck & 73s.

00cobra25expansion3B.jpg

Reactions: tecnicoloco
never knew this radio had AM on it after you opened it up. have only read about it here in the US a few years ago. that would be a nice radio with all the bands it has after being opened up.

HAL-

this is a very simple mod. This rig will have 10 bands of 40 channel after the mod. MAKE SURE THE POWER TO THE RADIO IS COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED. Then remove the case and remove the solder jumper shown in the pic below. Leave the radio disconnected for an additional 10 minutes. Then hook it up and you're ready to go. The bands are controlled by the Tone and Delta Tune controls. Good luck & 73s.

View attachment 12435

_399, Hi. Thanks for the photo. I have redone the mod and made a better job of it. Seems I'm ready for glasses ! Rig now fully open AM and FM cool.

Thanks again.

Mick

Hello again,

The rig is working OK. Anyone got the tune up points.

I can only find info for USA version NOT my UK one.

I would like to peak and tune it up a bit.

Thanks and 73's

Mick

If it's on frequency and the receive is good I don't really see that there is much of anything to tune since it's FM only. What is the wattage set at right now?

If it's on frequency and the receive is good I don't really see that there is much of anything to tune since it's FM only. What is the wattage set at right now?

that little radio after mods is AM FM and 10 bands of freq.I do not have any info on this radio.

thanks Unit 399, I did not buy the radio since it was on ebay and could not find out if it was the same as the UK radio and could convert to AM bands.
thanks some one may be able to use this info. or I might run into one down the line.

Hal, Sonoma -

Here is the Cobra UK29 LTD ST Schematic

View attachment 13261 ( It's upside down, so you'll need to rotate it)

Basic Tuneup:

Set mode to FM, Channel 40, Band E Low. Mike Gain minimum.
Keyup and adjust L301, L302, L303, and L308 for maximum

AM Modulation - RV201
FM Deviation - RV401.

Good Luck and 73s.

I have just acquired this model and have replaced the output transistor with the 1969 and have tried tuning the cans L301 L302 L303 but cannot find L308 I need to find this as I am only getting 3watts is the can L308 in the area where it is full of wax if so which of the 2 is it.
Regards

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.