• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

coming to terms

No disrespect, maybe I am looking at this wrong,,,,,,,,,

It's only radio

Now if they provided the answer pool to be a nuclear physicist,,,,, I would be a bit concerned

ok so, i only read 2 more posts after this one BECAUSE if i read the WHOLE THING, i could probably duplicate a clarence crack carter 45 minute diatribe on something that may be dear to many people's hearts, but have truly little effect on the world as we know it.

that said, steve, do you have ANY radio experience? cb? how long have you done it? ever put up a base antenna? a mobile antenna? did you READ the instructions? if you can answer ANY of THOSE questions, you may already know more then you think you do! i once elmered a CBer through his tech license that way. he knew his 3 element maco had an 18' element, and he knew his marine radio in 155 mhz range used a far shorter antenna. he learned when to shorten & when to lengthen his mobile antenna based on swr on what freq. he quicly realized a 20m antenna was twice as long as his 11m cb antenna, and 10m was a ham band, etc etc etc. that got him through a good portion of the tech test, antennas, frequencies/bands/lenghts of such etc. there was almost NO 'schooling' as it were, to get to that point. he had a half a brain, or at least a quarter of one, and was smart enough to figure what applied to what.
don't count yourself short, you might have already learned more then you thought!
so in reply to hamer's post....absolutely!!! the holier then thou hams that WANT you to KNOW before you're licensed just......forget THAT for now, or i'll get into my hour long diatribe.....

Coming of Age!

I have some opinions that cross both schools of thought on what has been a highly debated topic, not just in the last few years but dating back to the 60's/70”s and 80's.
I will just simply reply with my own personal story.

I became interested in radio in mid 60's. I was maybe 12 or 13 years old at the time, I had a Amateur Operator lived across the street. I was friends with his son. I was hooked.
I became interested in CB and SWLing in to the early 70's. I of course did not know squat!
I meet my “ELMER” via a CB shop (he owned it) around 1973/4. He modified my Regency Range Gain for DSB. We used to chat on channel 16 SSB. I of course also used AM (Antique Modulation as he called it). I can still recall many times him jumping in while I was expounding somewhere and falling prey to some operators BS and would simply say
“Keep reading BJ”.

I had Morse code down 3 or 4 times over the next 3 or 4 years but never took the test, but hanging around the shop and chatting with the other Techs I finally started tinkering. I would wire mics, check tubes what ever I could do to stay back near the bench instead of the sales counter out front. I was always told “I could sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo and get a down payment on a deep freeze”...Damn you Lou!

I got transferred via my job to Iowa in 1978. I missed chatting with the guys and sitting in the shack listening to the bunch Lou checked in with on 75 meters. He sent a old Halicrafter receiver with me when I left.
I finally found another ham operator in my area, I could see his antenna farm from my third floor apartment balcony. John told me of a Novice class starting at the local museum in downtown
Des Moines, IA. about 20 miles away.
I got the books and BJ “kept reading!”
The Saturday morning before the forth week of class, we were sitting in the shack at the museum and the instructor ask me would I like a little extra code practice before class? I thought what the hell, I could use it! I had know idea about 20 minutes later when class started he was to announce that there was a student that had passed his code test!
Wow! I thought wonder who it was....
Damn it was me!
I passed the written and the code again two weeks later...boy was I pumped!
I waited (in those days before the electronic internet) 14 WEEKS for my Novice call to arrive! I was KA0FNB. I passed the Tech exam but failed the General test three times (damn code!) but finally got it done in 1984 (I think).
I also passed my Journeyman Electrician exam plus my 2nd class Radio Telephone exam same year.
I guess I am rambling here, but my intent is to say...
“ I Kept Reading!”(Damn you Lou!) I kept working at it ALL the time.

I really “Came to Terms” with myself when I volunteered to help teach a Novice theory class. I ended up doing that 3 times. I know I learned more than I can ever understand from helping those students “Come to terms” with their new hobby!
I am STILL learning today! I hope I never stop!

The New(and old) testing has brought many in to the hobby, some good and some bad!
I can offer only this to many new operators...You must continue to try and improve yourself, do not fall prey to...I passed the test! I am done! I need do nothing more!...This is where I think so many get the adage “The old Goats(me now I guess) don't like us!... “were stuck up”
No we're not! We only wish to see this fine hobby continue with the standard and excellence, we have come to know, and you to continue to prosper and grow with it.
I guess now, I am one of the “ELMERS”...
(Damn you Lou! WA9TPZ/sk/ 2010) I remember! I'm still reading!
All the Best...
BJ

Good posts, great reading.

Steve you got the license and that is an opening to learning.

Just continue on with whatever in the hobby interests you and as BJ said "READ".

Knowledge is both learned and earned. Just reading about it is the basics, then actually trying to do it makes all the reading fall into place.

Short story. ( sort of long )
Twenty one months ago I heard a weak, signal asking if anyone could hear that station? It was 11 meter am. I had just got finished repairing a CB rig and was checking the receive on the antenna instead of on the bench so I replied "Sure I hear you weakly".

It was a father who just bought his 16 yr. old son his first CB. President Washington.

They did not even know what a mic gain knob was for. So I informed them on what the controls were for.

Then I introduced them to ssb. Eventually the "kid" as I call him needed something repaired so I invited them over to the QTH. Him and his father walked into the shack and the jaws dropped. HAM radio WOW.

I worked some 75 meter phone DX,while they were there, winter time, and the "kid" was hooked.

Soon it was antenna building time, he built his own .64wl vert, then the "kid" built his own dipoles, all on 11 meters.

Long story short that little weak "Hello can anyone hear this station?" was an opportunity to share the hobby of radio, whether it is licensed or 11 meter.

As of two months ago the "kid" and his father are both General class license holders. The "kid's" mom and two teenage sisters have tech licenses. None have electronic experience, none have any radio experience except what little bit was learned on 11 meters., they all learned from " The book".

It is never to late to learn irregardless of how one achieves the license. Do not sell yourself short.

I used online study guides for my license, memorized the Q&A. I had the knowledge from my previous career. I just needed to learn the operating procedures and rules regulations, and that darn vhf/uhf stuff.

I am now studying for the upgrade to Extra, I bought the book, darn thing is so dry it puts you to sleep, but I "READ" every evening, and it is starting to sink in. I could care less about a satellite, unless it falls and hits my yagi. Yet I study the satellites as it is required for the exam and part of the hobby.

Steve just keep reading, and doing, and experimenting but most of all keep enjoying the hobby.

I decided to order arrls General book and Ham for dummies. I've even found an elmer. Thank god for patient people. He's going to need it. I could use some advise as to what to buy for a rig. presently I'm going for my general ticket, so I want what i can use. Any suggestions?

Thanks wavrider for the encouragment !

My advice on a rig is to wait for a short while. Visit your elmer, ask questions, read some more, and decide what you need in a radio before you jump in. Is there a club near you where you can see lots of radios and try them out? Hamfests are a great place to see lots of equipment, too. Speaking for myself, I wish someone would have given me that advice. I would have saved a LOT of money and stress. I made some pretty poor buying decisions at first, because I did not know what I really wanted or needed. Have fun.

I have some opinions that cross both schools of thought on what has been a highly debated topic, not just in the last few years but dating back to the 60's/70”s and 80's.
I will just simply reply with my own personal story.

I became interested in radio in mid 60's. I was maybe 12 or 13 years old at the time, I had a Amateur Operator lived across the street. I was friends with his son. I was hooked.
I became interested in CB and SWLing in to the early 70's. I of course did not know squat!
I meet my “ELMER” via a CB shop (he owned it) around 1973/4. He modified my Regency Range Gain for DSB. We used to chat on channel 16 SSB. I of course also used AM (Antique Modulation as he called it). I can still recall many times him jumping in while I was expounding somewhere and falling prey to some operators BS and would simply say
“Keep reading BJ”.

I had Morse code down 3 or 4 times over the next 3 or 4 years but never took the test, but hanging around the shop and chatting with the other Techs I finally started tinkering. I would wire mics, check tubes what ever I could do to stay back near the bench instead of the sales counter out front. I was always told “I could sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo and get a down payment on a deep freeze”...Damn you Lou!

I got transferred via my job to Iowa in 1978. I missed chatting with the guys and sitting in the shack listening to the bunch Lou checked in with on 75 meters. He sent a old Halicrafter receiver with me when I left.
I finally found another ham operator in my area, I could see his antenna farm from my third floor apartment balcony. John told me of a Novice class starting at the local museum in downtown
Des Moines, IA. about 20 miles away.
I got the books and BJ “kept reading!”
The Saturday morning before the forth week of class, we were sitting in the shack at the museum and the instructor ask me would I like a little extra code practice before class? I thought what the hell, I could use it! I had know idea about 20 minutes later when class started he was to announce that there was a student that had passed his code test!
Wow! I thought wonder who it was....
Damn it was me!
I passed the written and the code again two weeks later...boy was I pumped!
I waited (in those days before the electronic internet) 14 WEEKS for my Novice call to arrive! I was KA0FNB. I passed the Tech exam but failed the General test three times (damn code!) but finally got it done in 1984 (I think).
I also passed my Journeyman Electrician exam plus my 2nd class Radio Telephone exam same year.
I guess I am rambling here, but my intent is to say...
“ I Kept Reading!”(Damn you Lou!) I kept working at it ALL the time.

I really “Came to Terms” with myself when I volunteered to help teach a Novice theory class. I ended up doing that 3 times. I know I learned more than I can ever understand from helping those students “Come to terms” with their new hobby!
I am STILL learning today! I hope I never stop!

The New(and old) testing has brought many in to the hobby, some good and some bad!
I can offer only this to many new operators...You must continue to try and improve yourself, do not fall prey to...I passed the test! I am done! I need do nothing more!...This is where I think so many get the adage “The old Goats(me now I guess) don't like us!... “were stuck up”
No we're not! We only wish to see this fine hobby continue with the standard and excellence, we have come to know, and you to continue to prosper and grow with it.

I guess now, I am one of the “ELMERS”...
(Damn you Lou! WA9TPZ/sk/ 2010) I remember! I'm still reading!
All the Best...

BJ

(y) That is one of the best posts I have seen here in regards to the topic at hand. Good stuff BJ. (y)

No disrespect, maybe I am looking at this wrong,,,,,,,,,

It's only radio

Now if they provided the answer pool to be a nuclear physicist,,,,, I would be a bit concerned

Certainly it IS "only a hobby". No one doubts that. Everyone has to start somewhere! I did, YOU did, all of us did. Heck, I probably burned up more stuff 40 years ago than anybody...including radios. It's one of the things I am still good at!!!

Learning this stuff is a process and a long one. There aren't any shortcuts to fully understanding the technical end of ham radio that I know-- short of going to college. And you know what? I STILL don't know it!:D

At the same time, I am still not happy with the current testing regime that allows someone to memorize 35 questions and............VOILA! I am a "ham". This is well expressed by the originator of this thread. IOW, it has allowed him to "outdrive his headlights", so to speak! This particularly applies to General and above. There is also the potential to get HURT by green hams who go poking around around circuits and charged capacitors, etc.

Technician license should be, and must be, a starting point that lets one begin with VHF/UHF frequencies with a bit of HF thrown in to whet one's appetite. One can basically stick in a small radio, plug it into the cig. lighter (maybe!), slap on a mag mount and he's kinda, sorta, coulda be on the air.:D When he then moves to General Class and ALL HF privileges, then it is possible to become discouraged thru lack of knowledge, frustrated because his radios seem not to work right and he knows not why. High frequency (HF) is a WHOLE different ballgame that requires some different methods.......like in the area of antennas and "impedance" matching. I often run into "Extra" class hams who are clueless about why their new IC706 and $500 screwdriver antenna won't work. It's not "elitism" that drives experienced hams' objections to the testing, but the obvious lack of TEACHING in the study/testing materials leading up to the exam. That also hurts the hobby in that it drives an unintentional wedge between the experienced and the newbie ham who feels "left out" in the technical discussions on the air which he won't join in for fear of being ridiculed for his lack of knowledge. (Don't worry, he won't, but he may FEEL he might) I think it is a mistake to present a "quickie" path to licensing without providing more "grounding" (pardon my pun) in the basics and letting the hopeful ham know more of the WHYS of it all. Be bold: ask questions. If you get snapped at (hardly ever happens, trust me!), you know which Alpha Hotels to avoid! :)

What I would suggest is, "The ARRL Handbook" in which there are explanations of such subjects and diagrams of circuits, and photos and construction techniques of antennas, base and mobile, to name a few.

Another set of books I would recommend IF they are still available, is "40+ 5 Years of HF Mobileering, and "What you Forgot to Ask About HF Mobileering", by Don Johnson, W6AAQ. He pioneered the screwdriver antenna as we know it today. These books will open your eyes---even if you are not into HF mobile!!!! The Handbook is your friend, and I refer to it often. YOU don't have to buy one every year (they are expensive), but the basics of electronics don't change, and your 'book can become part of your ham reference library for years to come.

The rest is gained by simple experience.

CWM

Last edited:
The ARRL book AND Ham Radio For Dummies have helped greatly. I still don't know anything, but, I understand more.:confused: I think it's a lot like studying for a commercial drivers liscence without ever practicing. without knowing the parts or what they look like,The words don't sink in.
Packrat was right though, reading is one step towards the next leap.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.