• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Commercial Dual-Band HT?

K7RWP

Jan 22, 2010
I am looking to add a commercial/military- grade dual band (2m/70cm), front panel programmable handheld brick to my Emcomm arsenal. Ideally I would like to not spend $5k (so the Thales Liberty is out ;). Ayone know of good secondhand options?

Richard
K7RWP

Thanks Moleculo. $3.5k is technically less than $5k. ;)

Any thoughts on other offerings from Harris or Thales? Or cheaper alternativels from Motorola that still meet the basic criterial?

Richard
K7RWP

I guess it really depends on what you want to spend and what your "commercial/military grade" requirements are. If you just want something reasonably tough and waterproof, there are a few ham radio options out there. If you really want "commercial grade", you're going to end up paying a pretty high price for it.

I wonder what determines "commercial grade" other than mil spec construction and FCC approval?

The Wouxuns are damn decent for the price. If you want "commercial grade" to mean you can beat the ever-loving crap out of it and it still function 100%, it is cost-effective to just buy two or three Wouxuns and never worry if one bites the dust.

I own a KG-UVD2 and I like it a lot, but honestly if I had to say which of my Chinese handheld imports is most rugged I'd say my Quansheng TG-UV2. It's a dual-band much like the Wouxun, however sadly it is not FCC type approved for commercial use yet (hopefully soon).. It feels more rugged to me, very solid construction. The signal strength meter actually works, as opposed to my Wouxun where there either is a full signal or there is no signal.. The TG-UV2 lacks DTMF functionality, which is kind of a big deal, but it is also $20 cheaper than the Wouxun. I can live with the lack of DTMF due to the low price and otherwise excellent functionality..

With any luck Quansheng's next generation will include DTMF and FCC type approval..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.