• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Common Mode Current Question

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
This could be posted in both the CB and Ham forums. Flipped a coin.

Scenario:
Coax is used to feed a balanced antenna such as a dipole and CMC is created and headed to the shack.

Question:
If the coax run is a relatively long one (100’ or more) and the coax is lying on the ground the whole way, is any of the CMC absorbed by the earth, reducing (or eliminating) the amount reaching the shack?

This could be posted in both the CB and Ham forums. Flipped a coin.

Scenario:
Coax is used to feed a balanced antenna such as a dipole and CMC is created and headed to the shack.

Question:
If the coax run is a relatively long one (100’ or more) and the coax is lying on the ground the whole way, is any of the CMC absorbed by the earth, reducing (or eliminating) the amount reaching the shack?
I don't think so. I'm not a coax/antenna genius, but from what I've read... I don't think so. If you make or purchase a CMC be sure it's closest to the antenna vs. just before it goes in the house (weird stuff happens in that placement). :unsure:

Reactions: Riverman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.