• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

conditions are wild on 2 meter simplex

Rwb

tell the devil im gettin there as fast as i can,r
Jun 30, 2018
i made contac with KF5IRZ its real hilly rough country between my house and his in marshall arkansas. 50 watts run on great coax to tram 1481b 50' high. its about 130 miles in line from my house to his.
i was on 146.475 simplex tonite and we hasa good queso about 3 minutes till conditions faded

Nice! I spend to spend more time on 2 meters.
it came as a shock to me. talking to a friend 30 miles west of me and that guy chimed in. said he could just make the friend out but i was hitting him hard.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
With a vertical at 40 ft I have been able to work a few hundred miles out several times on 2 meter (simplex) fm when conditions (tropo) allow for it. One morning last summer I was chatting with my locals when a station in Kansas joined in.. its happened before with Kentucky and Indiana also in the past.. 2 meter fm can be a real blast if your in the right place at the right time. 2 meter ssb is even better!

Last edited:
With a vertical at 40 ft I have been able to work a few hundred miles out several times on 2 meter (simplex) fm when conditions (tropo) allow for it. One morning last summer I was chatting with my locals when a station in Kansas joined in.. its happened before with Kentucky and Indiana also in the past.. 2 meter fm can be a real blast if your in the right place at the right time. 2 meter ssb is even better!
had a couple on ssb also. last year 3 made dx contac with me always open for more tropo is cool

Reactions: S&W357
Had some good TROPO enhancement (N/S path) Saturday morning while driving back from Chicago. (7am-10am EST)
I had my 20-year-old Yaesu FT2900 /80w 2m FM rig with my marginal Diamond Tri-band 6/2/1.25 antenna/ mag mounted behind the cab.
Made several contacts in the 100+ mile range while driving.
"FNB's got it going on... Hell Ofa, mobile signal" was one contact 97+ miles away.
Then they started coming out of the woodwork! FUN Stuff...Worked another mobile running 25w from about 60+ miles away.
Made maybe 10-12 contacts in the 60+ to 100+ miles away from the mobile...then construction and traffic got heavy and had to stop.
I was on I/65 South-bound from Rensselaer, IN to Lebanon, IN when had to stop chatting. Contacts were to all around Indianapolis and East and South of Indy 30+ miles... :cool:
All the Best
Gary

Had some good TROPO enhancement (N/S path) Saturday morning while driving back from Chicago. (7am-10am EST)
I had my 20-year-old Yaesu FT2900 /80w 2m FM rig with my marginal Diamond Tri-band 6/2/1.25 antenna/ mag mounted behind the cab.
Made several contacts in the 100+ mile range while driving.
"FNB's got it going on... Hell Ofa, mobile signal" was one contact 97+ miles away.
Then they started coming out of the woodwork! FUN Stuff...Worked another mobile running 25w from about 60+ miles away.
Made maybe 10-12 contacts in the 60+ to 100+ miles away from the mobile...then construction and traffic got heavy and had to stop.
I was on I/65 South-bound from Rensselaer, IN to Lebanon, IN when had to stop chatting. Contacts were to all around Indianapolis and East and South of Indy 30+ miles... :cool:
All the Best
Gary
i really like it when distant contacks are made barefoot with older radios.

a true challenge and interesting

I am impressed with the TROPO maps I see online. They always seem to predict or report those conditions in the east. Over here in the west I just don't seem much of that activity. Oh and TROPO was capitalized to keep spell check from changing the word to troop.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.