• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connex 4600 Turbo 10k on limiter, really?

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
Got a Connex CX-4600 Turbo on the desk today for just a checkup after 4 years of being stored.

After warming up for 30 minutes:
Hi deadkey = 75w, WOW!!!
Lo deadkey = 25w, WOW!!!
PEP swing at any deadkey level = 225w
Peak swing """"" = 165w
Average swing """""" = 92w

Found a diode alone strapped across the passthrough.
Found a 10k ohm across the AMC limiter. Yes, a 10k ohm, lol...

The 10.240mhz crystal needed leads resoldered, receive and xmit was intermittent.

Driver bias was around 4.11v, wow!!!
Final bias was around 3.34v, hmmm!!!

1. Removed the diode that was strapped across the passthrough.
2. Removed the 10k ohm resistor that was strapped across the AMC limiter.
3. Aligned the radio.
4. Readjusted the bias.
5. Reset the deadkey levels.
6. Adjusted modulation.

After the work:
Hi deadkey = 30w
Lo deadkey = 10w
PEP swing = 200w
Peak swing = 145w
Average swing = 80w

I've been told the deadkey levels should be set lower on these radios. I've been told the levels should be 2w to 10w, then I've been told 8w to 45w, then I was told 10w to 30w.

What is the proper key levels for this radio? I tried the 2w to 10w advice, but was told it sounds choppy by my locals at anything below 5w. So what is the proper key levels for a 4600 turbo?

Well, I had to put the 10k ohm resistor back across the AMC limiter.

Without the resistor, the radio makes a terrible buzz sound with your audio when keyed up at any carrier level which peaks out the output.

With the resistor, the buzz sound goes away and audio sounds great.

Any advice on this? Is this 10k resistor suppose to be across the limiter from the factory?

Well, I noticed after talking on it for a bit that the carrier was fluctuating slightly. So I reset the keys to 8w to 40w as per someone else's recommendation.

So far, holds at 40w the entire time of talking, sled amp gets slightly hot after 20 minutes of long winded talking, cools back down quick. The driver, final and passthrough stays cool the entire time talking, only the sled amp gets slightly hot.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.