• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connex CX-366CE Review

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
I prefer vintage CB base station radios. There’s a great variety of good-looking, well-performing units to choose from (if you can find them), and personally, I think they were made better back then.

But recently I began giving consideration to purchasing a current model. It has, after all, been forty years since I bought a “new” radio and the thought of doing so was exciting. The Galaxy DX-2547 doesn’t really appeal to me so I made a list of the features I wanted; read countless reviews; and began looking at mobile units. Here’s what I wanted:

1. 40-Channel AM Radio
2. Tone Control
3. Variable Power
4. A meter I didn't have to squint at.
5. A radio that had garnered good reviews.

Eventually, I settled on the Connex CX-366CE.

3407-1429286096-aa32059355d8dff1fa2be885fed6fc0e.jpg

I couldn't find a lot of reviews on this radio, but those I did come across were very good. It has everything I wanted plus Talkback and Roger Beep. I like tone control on a radio and being able to tailor the sound to my liking. This one works great. And I love the big meter! And while I wasn't really interested in all the different display colors, it turns out they are pretty cool.

The CX-366CE comes with a Ranger SRA-198 noise-canceling mic.

3408-1429286117-52bbbb92229440138c7aea1f11db902b.jpg

A couple of YouTube videos show this radio having a deadkey of 1 watt on low power and 7 watts on high power with a peak of 30+ watts straight from the factory. However, my Radio Shack SWR/Power meter shows 0.5 watts on Low and 4.0 watts on High. I think my readings sound more realistic, but have no way of being sure.

In summary, with its large meter, noise-canceling mic, and bright, colorful display, the makers of this radio were clearly targeting truckers as their primary customers. But hooked to a 13.8 volt power supply, it makes a great base station. It doesn’t have the size and character of the older base units, but I like this radio a lot.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned