• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

considering an M400 starduster. whats the deal?

I had a .64 and a "ring of fire", same as the starduster but firestick whips,(not loaded).

The .64 was better in 80% of contacts, but for some reason, I could get the guys in bellingham and everett better on the ring of fire.

The .64 was 40ft to base and the ring of fire was maybe 25ft to tip.

basically i just kept raising my "top one" higher and higher into the air trying to see if it ever lost any ability way up there.
it did not!

i started with the tip at about 35', then went up to 44', then to 54'.

i based my results on how i received certain stations that were known to be running the same equipment from the same location.
each time i moved the antenna, i left it there for a month or so before changing it.

each time i raised it, the stations came in better.
i cant say there were big S unit increases, but there were increases.

by the time i got to 54' to the tip i could be king of the channel when running power, and the ears kicked ass.

my new antenna just arrived today, so the fun begins tonight when i get home from work.

hope to catch you out there some time.
LC

LC, give us and update on how you're coming along with your new AstroPlane installation.

i put the top one up this past friday.

all went pretty well, and no major setbacks.

the last time i installed one of these antennas, i bent the hoop sections so they were more circular.

this time i didnt bother with that, and while i know it does not have any effect on the signal radiation, i dont like the way the bottom has sort of a "clover-like" appearance to it. LOL

SWR ended up being about 1.3 across the regular 40.

it sits on a 30 foot push up pole with a 5 foot mast on top.

the push up pole is held up by a tripod bolted to a heavy metal base plate.

i did this because i am renting a house right now and cant attach anything to the house.

i push it up when i want to use the radio, and lower it down when i am done.

works well, but i havent made any DX contacts with it yet.
i blame the sun. LOL

LC

i put the top one up this past friday.

all went pretty well, and no major setbacks.

the last time i installed one of these antennas, i bent the hoop sections so they were more circular.

this time i didnt bother with that, and while i know it does not have any effect on the signal radiation, i dont like the way the bottom has sort of a "clover-like" appearance to it. LOL

SWR ended up being about 1.3 across the regular 40.

it sits on a 30 foot push up pole with a 5 foot mast on top.

the push up pole is held up by a tripod bolted to a heavy metal base plate.

i did this because i am renting a house right now and cant attach anything to the house.

i push it up when i want to use the radio, and lower it down when i am done.

works well, but i havent made any DX contacts with it yet.
i blame the sun. LOL

LC

LC, thanks for the update. The following may be a lot more than you want to know, but I just completed some testing during July and Aug and have now studied what the results might mean and for sure one of my best performers was the AstroPlane, so here goes.

I have no doubt that you will be doing some DX when it returns with a furry, but DX is not a very good indicator of an antennas effectiveness in my opinion. I don't know about your area, it may be different, but I have not really heard any DX here for maybe a month, so why not check out your local traffic while you wait. I think you will find the AP will DX for you very well at just about any height and you might not even be able to tell the difference with different heights, but your area may be different.

Have you done anything ahead of time that will give you some basis for comparison---are will you just be flying by the seat of your pants (opinions and recollections only from the past)?

For some reason I did not attach my AstroPlane Antenna Work Sheet dated 080309 to my album for work sheets in my profile or I would link you there to see all my recent reports. This attached report will show the Band Width curve for my standard AstroPlane @ 37' feet and it is noted as #4 at the top.

This report is a analyzer scan thru my feed line for the antenna at the time, because it is not practical to scan at the feed point of an AP. I say this to let you know that I find some line effects to the scans when using the feed line with all the antennas I compare, so consider that as a variable. This report looks pretty good none-the-less, so I don't think any thing significant will be found to be a big problem.

You will see that your SWR readings and mine are very close across the CB band---see the measurements at the bottom under "Inline Meter." You can also compare these SWR results to the Autek readings above on the chart.

I'm scanning way wider than the CB band to get a bandwidth curve <2:1 SWR, but notice how the antenna is not nearly as flat as the Inline meter indicates and that the resonance shown in the scan was right near the middle of the CB band and the SWR was a bit higher. More importantly, check out that at resonance the match and resonance is fairly good, but not nearly perfect at R=50, X=0, SWR=1.1, Z=50. So the numbers on the report are the numbers I get with a completely stock AstroPlane. This is what I will have to live with unless I modify the antenna somehow. When you guys work your SWR meters only within even 40 channels up and 40 channels down tuning your antennas you are not really seeing much bandwidth and every thing to you might look flat.

Antenna Work Sheet AP #04 080309.jpg

Now below is my final Signal Report for the AP vs. Sigma 4 at the same tip heights. If you look at the smaller numbers below the actual report you will find my recap data---comparing all the signals in each column for both antennas where I add up the values and divide the values by the number of contacts to get average S units. I also used two radios to get my RX signal reports in this case.

Surprisingly, you will notice---the AP modestly out did the big old 30' foot long Sigma 4 antenna even with the small mismatches note above and the AP is only about 12' feet tall.

Another point to notice is that I tuned my Sigma4 at 27.205 resonance and that is also by design where the AP is tuned to resonance. All of my signal reports were recorded on channel 39 where all of my buddies hang out that talk often. So, I'm operating a little away from center frequency. In my next round of tests, I plan to try and tune both resonance and match as perfect as I can and see if that makes any difference in the signal responses on channel 39 and on channel 20 to see if tuning can actually show me a difference when I'm perfect compared to beign just close.

Signal Report 080309 Sigma vs. AstroPlane Tips =.jpg

Last edited:
...anyone have one of these still laying around?

Thunderpole%2Badvert.jpg

Just shows that Merlin wasn't the first to try shortening the Starduster with a coil.

I have seen some people use clamps to hold the sections togather.
just want to know the inside scoop on this antenna.

are they made by workman? or sirio? both?
if so, which one is better?

what improvements need to be made to make it sturdy?
SS hardware etc...?

should it be isolated from its mast?

i am thinking that a choke balun would not be needed, but im open to opinions on that.

thanks for any and all input you can provide on my prospective birthday present.
LC

OK heres my starduster type antennas, 1 home made w 3 radials at a 45 degree angle , <and of course my favorit part "102" whip on top...the radials are constructed out of 1/2" emt pipe electricle metallic tubing (the thin stuff) and have a coupling nut welded into the ends of each piece, the hub is built out of a piece of black iorn/ or cast steel pipe with a cap nd a 3/8-24 / so 238 antenna connector hole drilled into it .5" dia hole drilled in the cap, and weld some bolts on the 1 1/4" pipe in 3x120 deg spacing, at a 45 deg downward angle..... thread the radials on to these bolts.....use 3 or 4 radials...cut the radials longer than your 102" whip,,then mark the radials in .5" incrimints..(if desired to cut for tuning later).this antenna shoots awesome skip, i believe angle of radiation to be slightly high for local talk,,but i will say swrs= perfect.....local talk is quite awesome.....but
I have also ran a starduster with the 20-22.5 degree downward angle or whatever it is (30 degres?),,,this antenna really seems to do a awesome job at talking local, much better than the 45 degree downward pattern of home made antenna.
I am not sure if the starduster is direct fed or not? but i will say it ran with a slightly higher swr,,,,like 1.3 to 1.4.
for low elevation install (the starduster really rocked!) when i say low elevation, im talking 20 feet to antenna base.
comparison starduster 1/4 wave fed at 20 feet to antenna base.
=home made 45 deg 1/4 wave fed at 50 feet to antenna base.
both same signal local.
however the 45 degree antenna at 50 feet to base shot some bad ass skip!
comparison home made 45 deg= flat match over wider range freq,
vrs starduster 22.5 deg= nothing better than a 1.2-1.3 on 11 meters only.

Reactions: Marconi
BlueArmidillo, I have enjoyed using my Starduster antennas for years, and it always served me well. I also had a knockoff SD'r with a wider radial setup and it did not seem to me to be as good a workhorse either, but it did work.

I never worked this knockoff during periods of DX however. I recall that this antenna was built by CTE, back sometime in the 80's maybe. I remember when I first got it...the center pin of my coax was a bit too big to fit the antenna, so I sanded the pin down to fit.

The main problem I found with the SD'r is they tend to let water enter into the feed line.

Reactions: BlueArmidillo
BlueArmidillo, I have enjoyed using my Starduster antennas for years, and it always served me well. I also had a knockoff SD'r with a wider radial setup and it did not seem to me to be as good a workhorse either, but it did work.

I never worked this knockoff during periods of DX however. I recall that this antenna was built by CTE, back sometime in the 80's maybe. I remember when I first got it...the center pin of my coax was a bit too big to fit the antenna, so I sanded the pin down to fit.

The main problem I found with the SD'r is they tend to let water enter into the feed line.
There is something to be said for this 1/4 wave design, in my on opinnion its a good talking antenna,,,,i have never ran anything other that 1/4 waves as a base omni, it would be nice to have a 1/2 or 5/8 wave to compare it to, but why put up something new when the 1/4 wave works awesome,?, my line of thinking is that these antennas work so well is due to the down angle on the radials vers most 1/2 and 5/8 wave designs which put the radials at 90 degree angle to antenna,,,,i believe they project the signal up at more of a angle (which would be good for dx) but not as good for local talk?
A expierement i want to do is get a antron, or solorcon, antenna get the radial kit for it but just use it for a db refrence test. ,(baseline)
then make 2 radial kits for the antenna one at a 45degree down angle (1/2 wave length)
and one at a 30 degree down angle 1/2 wave length.
and compare the results in db to baseline . at a moderate local distance.

Reactions: Marconi
There is something to be said for this 1/4 wave design, in my on opinnion its a good talking antenna,,,,i have never ran anything other that 1/4 waves as a base omni, it would be nice to have a 1/2 or 5/8 wave to compare it to, but why put up something new when the 1/4 wave works awesome,?, my line of thinking is that these antennas work so well is due to the down angle on the radials vers most 1/2 and 5/8 wave designs which put the radials at 90 degree angle to antenna,,,,i believe they project the signal up at more of a angle (which would be good for dx) but not as good for local talk?

BlueArmidillo, I tend to agree with your idea about radials pushing the signal up some. I don't know if we could tell the difference just using our radio to test the idea however. Even comparing a SD'r with one that has horizontal radials might be difficult to tell. For sure horizontal radials will ill-effect the antenna match somewhat and you may need a tuner or a matcher added to the antenna to handle the mismatch which will likely be well over 4.00:1 SWR.

A expierement i want to do is get a antron, or solorcon, antenna get the radial kit for it but just use it for a db refrence test. ,(baseline)

After the WWDX contest is over...I will model this idea for you. I have such a model for the Imax, using longer slanted down 1/2 wave radials do show a bit of increase in gain over the factory 72" slanted down radials that come with the GPK. I don't know what kind of response we will see with an A99 however.

To make sure I understand this idea, will this base line antenna be using a stock GPK slanted, horizontal, or both?

then make 2 radial kits for the antenna one at a 45degree down angle (1/2 wave length)
and one at a 30 degree down angle 1/2 wave length.
and compare the results in db to baseline . at a moderate local distance.

And, of the test here...you will be testing 1/2 wave radials and not the stock 72" radials, right?

Remind me next week if you see I have not done as I promised. Others have had this same idea and it maybe helpful to model, and maybe get some idead before trying to build the real thing.

I encourage guys to experiment, so good luck with whatever you do.

BlueArmidillo, I tend to agree with your idea about radials pushing the signal up some. I don't know if we could tell the difference just using our radio to test the idea however. Even comparing a SD'r with one that has horizontal radials might be difficult to tell. For sure horizontal radials will ill-effect the antenna match somewhat and you may need a tuner or a matcher added to the antenna to handle the mismatch which will likely be well over 4.00:1 SWR.

After the WWDX contest is over...I will model this idea for you. I have such a model for the Imax, using longer slanted down 1/2 wave radials do show a bit of increase in gain over the factory 72" slanted down radials that come with the GPK. I don't know what kind of response we will see with an A99 however.

To make sure I understand this idea, will this base line antenna be using a stock GPK slanted, horizontal, or both?

And, of the test here...you will be testing 1/2 wave radials and not the stock 72" radials, right?

Remind me next week if you see I have not done as I promised. Others have had this same idea and it maybe helpful to model, and maybe get some idead before trying to build the real thing.

I encourage guys to experiment, so good luck with whatever you do.

Correct a baseline of either the nominal known antenna with radial kit (as manufactured (only 6 feet or whatever it is long 4 of them) vrs basically extending them to a resonant 1/2 wave or , 5/8 wave . I believe in my heart that the radials need to be as long as the radiating element (whoever this antenna design is dc grounded, coils capacitors ect)<from the get go!...this longer radial idea of mine stems from trying to match 1/4 wave antennas to a 50 ohm impedence , i tried many 90 degree radial variations and had no luck with good swr's my conclusion is that the angle is to accute to have a sign wave form ,,,,,and this theroy i want to apply to a larger scale example 1/2 or 5/8 wave ..but the hitch is this,,,,do such on a un gamma matched direct fed antenna/ (non dc grounded)....every antenna i know of that is on the market is as such gamma matched, inductance fed . ect..

But the gain differences at a local ground leval would be nice to know?

I believe 6 foot radial's on a 24 or 23 or whatever length 5/8 wave antenna are only (semi effective) as compared to radials of = wave length.

Maybe i am wrong,,,,,,but what is a half wave diapole?
It is 2 similar length antennas ? not one that is 18 feet long and another that is 9 feet

I also believe that most old school aluminum antennas with a 90 degree radial angle to fed element are gamma fed and gamma fed as such to lose potential in rf signal due to not having the correct match, which i believe due to angle of radiation conflict between the two phases, (i am no scientist or antenna man) so correct me if i believe incorrect.
angle of radation counts for a lot when we are comparing skip, to local talk,,

I am really interested in doing some antenna mapping, field strength measurements, i have a home made rf signal detetcor, basically a couple transistors, hooked up to a very low scale analog volt meter, and a couple potentiometers to adjust the bias of the transistor feeding the volt meter./ i built this many years ago,,,it runs on 9 v bat and has a 60 inch teloscopic antenna.. one potentiometer controls bias to amplifer transistor (basically like gain on a radio),,the other throttles full scale on the meter eg..full throttle pegs meter with 6 volts....1/2 throttle only lets meter go half way.< anyways this a crude,,,,ide like to own one of these new remote rf power meters, the kind with a frequency counter ect...(anyone have one)?

BlueArmidillo, I don't have a full concept of your idea here, but it sounds interesting. I encourage you to test and report back, and then we would have something to consider for discussion.

I'm working the WWDX contest at this time, but I will follow your work later.

I'm going to disagree with this premis based on models I made in the past. I have modeled a center fed vertical dipole and starduster design at the same feedpoint/tip heights a number of times and the angle of maximum radiation for both is always the same, at least to within the same indicated degree. If there is a difference, I don't see it being anywhere near enough for anyone to notice. Something that I didn't expect when I first modeled these designs is a Starduster design with radials 15 degrees off of vertical actually has some gain over a center fed vertical dipole, and its lobes were, in general, wider. It is also being reported by NEC2 as a more efficient antenna overall. Whatever the reason, it is not a change you will ever notice in the field.

this longer radial idea of mine stems from trying to match 1/4 wave antennas to a 50 ohm impedence , i tried many 90 degree radial variations and had no luck with good swr's my conclusion is that the angle is to accute to have a sign wave form ,,,,, and this theroy i want to apply to a larger scale example 1/2 or 5/8 wave ..but the hitch is this,,,,do such on a un gamma matched direct fed antenna/ (non dc grounded)....every antenna i know of that is on the market is as such gamma matched, inductance fed . ect..

When it comes to matching antennas, it takes much more than simply matching lengths to get a resonant 50 ohm match. For example, your 1/2 wavelength antenna with 1/2 wavelegnth radials example you may be able to find a resonant point, however, R will be a thousand ohms plus, and that is a very poor match to your 50 ohm feedline. With a 5/8 wavelength vertical, you won't have resonance for one, you will actually have capacitive reactance you will have to deal with, and R will be between 100 and 200, or perhaps even a little more.

But the gain differences at a local ground leval would be nice to know?

That would depend on the length of the vertical, the radials, and the angle of the radials.

I believe 6 foot radial's on a 24 or 23 or whatever length 5/8 wave antenna are only (semi effective) as compared to radials of = wave length.

Once upon a time in my early days of modeling I did such a test with a 5/8 wavelegnth vertical, and radials that were 5/8, 1/2, and 1/4 wavelength long and at multiple angles, namely every 15 degrees between vertical and horizontal. I can tell you than with a 5/8 wavelength antenna that 1/2 wavelegnth horizontal radials had the most gain, although only a small amount of additional gain over 1/4 wavelength horizontal radials. That being said, it also had a much higher feedpoint impedance that needed to be tuned out, and because of this the matching network to make it work would additional losses to some extent, in effect canceling some if not all of the benefits of the additional length. 5/8 wavelength horizontal radials shot the radiation angle sky high. If you want to use 5/8 wavelegnth radials they need to be about 15 degrees off of vertical.

Further, this design (4, 5/8 wavelentgh radials at 15 degrees off of vertical) seems to be more sensative to beign close to the earth than a horizontal radial design, as I recall you really needed to get the bottom of the radials up to a certain point, either a half or a full wavelenvgh high before it would really outperform the standard 5/8 wavelevngh design with four horizontal radials... So at CB frequencies, you are talking an antnena that is in the range of 60 feet tall that needs to be 20 to 35 feet off of the ground... Not a small structure by any sense of the imagination...

Maybe i am wrong,,,,,,but what is a half wave diapole?
It is 2 similar length antennas ? not one that is 18 feet long and another that is 9 feet

A 1/2 wavelength dipole is made up of two 1/4 wavelength section. The length of those sections is just as important as the fact that there are two of them. If you take a center fed dipole for, say, the 20 meter ham band, you will have two half wavelength sections and a very high impedance on the 10 meter ham band. There are a few general methods to get around this. One is to use parallel feedline, which is very low loss, even compared to the LMR-400 that so many swear by, and an antenna tuner to match out the impedance mismatch. One other method is to use multiple antennas fed at the same point, so you have a center fed 10 meter dipole, and a center fed 20 meter dipole, and perhaps others all fed from the same feedpoint. There are other methods as well, such as an OCF (off center fed) dipole, which can get you access to multiple ham bands. Yep, a dipole doesn't have to be fed in the center to still be considered a dipole...

I also believe that most old school aluminum antennas with a 90 degree radial angle to fed element are gamma fed and gamma fed as such to lose potential in rf signal due to not having the correct match, which i believe due to angle of radiation conflict between the two phases, (i am no scientist or antenna man) so correct me if i believe incorrect.
angle of radation counts for a lot when we are comparing skip, to local talk,,

There is an antenna design that is like a dipole and consists of two 5/8 wavelength sides. It is called an "extended double zepp", and is a horizontal antenna (although there isn't any reason it wouldn't work as a vertical antenna as well). If what you say you believe were true it would feed directly to a feedline, however, it doesn't. The sides of the extended double zepp are the same length, yet to match this antenna to a coax you must deal with a phase variance. The phase variance isn't between the two sides of the antenna, but the antenna feedpoint and the feedline. There is also an impedance variance that must be dealt with as well.

Just to point out, I have not seen a gamma match per say on a 5/8 wavelength antenna, however, all matching networks are based on the same set of principles. I'm not saying it is impossible, but gamma's are generally used when the feedpoint impedance needs to be raised to be matched. In the case of a 5/8 wavelevngh antenna the feedpoint impedance needs to be lowered to be matched. Many 5/8 wavelength antennas use a tapped ring, and in many cases a capacitor that is often hidden in the design.

I am really interested in doing some antenna mapping, field strength measurements, i have a home made rf signal detetcor, basically a couple transistors, hooked up to a very low scale analog volt meter, and a couple potentiometers to adjust the bias of the transistor feeding the volt meter./ i built this many years ago,,,it runs on 9 v bat and has a 60 inch teloscopic antenna.. one potentiometer controls bias to amplifer transistor (basically like gain on a radio),,the other throttles full scale on the meter eg..full throttle pegs meter with 6 volts....1/2 throttle only lets meter go half way.< anyways this a crude,,,,ide like to own one of these new remote rf power meters, the kind with a frequency counter ect...(anyone have one)?

So you built a field strength meter? Good job. I encourage you to use it often. You can learn as much with one of those as you can with many of the low end antenna analyzers that exist on the market (MFJ-259b and such).

The DB

A different take on the Starduster theme.

Has anyone seen the Workman 6hub? It is a hub which will handle a vertical radiator and three downward sloping ground planes. The hub is threaded to fit standard 1" plumbing pipe. When you stick a 102" vertical radiator and screw in the three 102" whips to serve as ground plane radials, you've got something that looks like a Starduster.

I've set one of these up before. I took it down due to storms, but just recently put it back up. I'm using an old Radio Shack fiberglass 102" on a four inch stainless steel spring for my vertical radiator. My ground plane radials are three Radio Shack 102" stainless steel whips. My lowest SWR is around channel 12 at 1.22. At channel 40 it is around 1.36. At channel 1 is is about 1.32. The tip of my antenna is right at 30' above the ground.

I'm curious if anyone has tried this same set up and can compare it to the other Starduster designs and/or other commonly used CB antennas.

hey 330, I have a similar setup I call my Marconi 5x. It uses 102" ss whips, a homemade A99 hub with slanted down at 30* degrees ports, and a mobile L bracket for the radiator. It works very well and is very durable. Get it up about 40' - 50' feet and it does extremely well for DX and local. It operates very quiet also and hears those weak signals out there fine.
upload_2016-12-9_6-26-4.jpeg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.