• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Contex 6706 Linear Amplifier

CB RADIO FREQ

Apr 1, 2013
Hello everyone. Does anyone know how many watts a Contex 6706 linear amp will produce. I measured it at about 55 watts peak on ssb and about 45 watts peak on AM. It does have 2 tubes that test good on a tester. I wasn't sure if it should be doing more than this. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

I'm driving it with about 15-20 watts on SSB and 5-12 watts on AM. I am using a Galaxy DX-959 as a base radio with a 30 amp power supply.

Hmm...

With good tubes you should see more than what you're getting. What kind/brand of wattmeter are you using? Should be seeing more than 55W out of it on SSB.

~Cheers~

I'm using an MFJ versa tuner 2. I only use the watt meter though and not the tuner. MFJ is usually a fairly high quality brand and makes good equipment. Not sure what the problem is.

MFJ??? Mississippi's Finest Junk, ok you must not have purchased much from them. They are famous for quality control issues.

I'm using an MFJ versa tuner 2. I only use the watt meter though and not the tuner. MFJ is usually a fairly high quality brand and makes good equipment. Not sure what the problem is.

I do not have much experience with MFJ. I only have one of their products and just go by what I hear people say about them. In the future I will have to buy a peak watt meter. The only thing is that their kind of expensive and I don't have a whole lot of money. If anyone could tell me where I could get one of these meters for cheap I would appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.